• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Well, yesterday I took the plunge, pushed rage.bin to my phone and ran it. What a nice little fork bomb, took about 15 minutes! Now when I run adb shell I get a nice little hash mark prompt :) Haven't uploaded su/busybox or Superuser.apk but that will come.

I'm somewhat curious though, how much of a sandbox does Dalvik run in? Any chance the same local root exploit that gave me root could be executed by a (non native) app to do something evil? I'm guessing that rage.bin is native code and not Dalvik bytecode...

Well, yesterday I took the plunge, pushed rage.bin to my phone and ran it. What a nice little fork bomb, took about 15 minutes! Now when I run adb shell I get a nice little hash mark prompt :) Haven't uploaded su/busybox or Superuser.apk but that will come.

I'm somewhat curious though, how much of a sandbox does Dalvik run in? Any chance the same local root exploit that gave me root could be executed by a (non native) app to do something evil? I'm guessing that rage.bin is native code and not Dalvik bytecode...

i dont know the full technical linux reasoning and such, but as far as I know root doesnt allow apps just to take over your system. You still have to give individual permission to any app d/led or pushed to your phone.

thankfully (atm anyway) there arent THAT many malicious android apps out there. there was some controversy with a wallpaper app sending info to china or something a few months ago, but that was later debunked.

really anything you get from the market *should* be completely safe (even root apps), just anything you find from random sites on the internet always has the potential to not have your best of intentions at heart :(

anything you d get in here, xda, or the irc channel is pretty legit though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones