Send message.....Really???Support

Last Updated:

1. golfinglenn

golfinglenn Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Okay, this is really getting annoying. Why in the hell would they set up the phone so that it lists landline or work numbers as message numbers? Instead of having 3 numbers under a contact (Cell, Work, Home), I have 6.

If this is such a smart phone, shouldn't it know that if I want to send somebody a text message I want to send it to their mobile number?

Can somebody please make a contacts app that fixes this isssue.

Thanks,

Glenn

Advertisement
  2. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Well-Known Member

Go download Handcent SMS from the Market - There is a setting in there to only show contacts with mobile numbers....

speedmaniac11m, Todd M and bhill like this.
  3. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

Agreed. That whole area is a big mess. At least they should list what line (home, work, mobile, etc.) it is next to each "Send message" number. I see send message 4 times, one for each number, and have no idea whether it's their land line or mobile phone or what. It's just as bad or worse in landscape mode.

4. WARRIIOR

WARRIIOR Well-Known Member

Agreed....very poor design on messaging.

5. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Well-Known Member

Some landlines support SMS/Txting. Hearing impaired, Business Lines etc... Some cellular services (Verizon does but it may be an additional service) supports sending to landlines.

6. benson304

benson304 Well-Known Member

Um, all phones are like that.

I know my blackberry did, how would they know if it isn't a mobile number? Just because it's a "home" number doesn't mean it's not a cell phone.

7. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Well-Known Member

Normally I have seen a phone at least group them by contact, so when you search a list you dont end up with 2-3x the content. Seriously though, I got Handcent this morning and made that my default service. It's way better than the stock messaging app....

8. connerct

connerct Member

I tried handecent but it broke my MMS messageing so I couldn't send pictures and had to do a factory reset :(

9. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member

^ had same problem with handcent and mms. did factory restore and still had the same problem. wonder why some people do and some don't. too bad...i really like handcent.

10. golfinglenn

Thanks. I have been using Handcent but did not see that option in there till you pointed it out. That helps.

As far as blackberries, I didn't have any trouble discerning what was a home number, work number, or cell number in the contacts page. You click on the contact, it lists the numbers what they are (cell, etc). Click on the number and it then asks if you want to sms, mms, email, etc. The Inc is similar as it lists those options when you open the contact, but it would be perfect if it didn't just say "send message" to every number you have listed for them. I think it would be better if it just had the numbers listed, you tap the number to another menu that listed in options in order (Call, sms, mms, etc).

Still love the phone lol, just miss some things my bb did better.

11. golfinglenn

I just tested mine and got an error message. Turned on Mobile and it sent the pic then.

Is the easiest way to send mms to go to pictures, share, and then add contact?

12. connerct

connerct Member

i just hit the menu button in a thread and go to attach > Pictures and pick the one you want

13. WARRIIOR

WARRIIOR Well-Known Member

No....all phones are not like that. My Eris doesn't list all the numbers, it lists the mobile number as the send message option. Your BB does it but it also says next to the number if it is home, work, mobile, etc. The Incredible doesn't designate that option, it just lists "send message" and the number.

curtisdr likes this.
  14. Todd M

Todd M Well-Known Member

You can also send mms/sms to email addresses, and I don't always see that option there either.

15. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

Could someone tell me this: When I'm texting/emailing, etc. and I want to move the cursor to the left, to correct something, but not delete the characters, how do I do it? I've tried the optical trackball and it's worthless. I usually end up scrolling up or down and the To: field shows up again. Or the cursor jumps to some seemingly random spot. Trying to tap on the spot is apparently impossible for my fingers. Is there another trick?

16. Wynnded

Wynnded Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine had his landline ported to his mobile.

17. golfinglenn

If you use handcent with swype you can get a whole new keyboard with a quick swype that gives you arrows and such to move the cursor around. Press of a button and you are back to the regular keyboard. Otherwise, the joystick works most of the time for me.

curtisdr likes this.
  18. rick12

rick12 Active Member

My Eris didn't do this until I got the update.

I'd try Handscent, but I don't want to risk the problems others are having. Is there another text app that is better?

19. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

To be fair, work or home numbers can be mobile numbers as well.

20. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

Because it says so in my gmail/google contacts.

21. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

I think his point is both work and home numbers can be cell numbers, so it makes sense to list all of them. I know plenty of people who carries a personal cell phone and a work cell phone. Both of them have txt messaging capabilities.

22. DJ-Anakin

DJ-Anakin Active Member

You can have multiple mobile numbers. And in Google contacts you can set as such.

But I do know what you're saying. You just have to know which one is mobile 1, and which is mobile 2. Course, if they don't have a home/landline phone, then you just don't put 'Home'. Just Work and Mobile.

23. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Take it out on the golf course Glenn.

24. daybw

daybw New Member

Where does one go to feedback this issue? I would like a checkbox or something tied to each number which would allow me to flag "no messaging". I hate to see all the numbers which do not support messaging in the various send message "lists". ("People" for Android Version 2.00.0000.161494 HTC Application)

25. golfinglenn

I do everytime I go golfing lol, and use the app Golfcard to keep track of scores and gps the course lol.

Love the phone and the golf app, the listing of each number as a textable number just bugs me lol :).