1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

send sms from computer

1. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

There's an app for this - Droid Messenger. Only their site is down, so can't try it. Is there an alternative app? I want to be able to send texts from my computer - through the web to my phone - then out to the recipient.

Cheers

Advertisement
    :
  2. Incolumis

Incolumis New Member

uhm you could try and find it on the market?
  3. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Here are some common Email ports to send sms to phones on carriers networks ..

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
    Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
    Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
    Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
    Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

I had a more extensive list link somewhere on this site but can not find it .... :(

MORE >>>>>>>>>>>>

Free Email To SMS Gateways (Major US Carriers)

Carrier Email to SMS Gateway
    Alltel [10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
    Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com AT&T (formerly

Cingular) [10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net
    [10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS)
    [10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com
    Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Boost Mobile [10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com
    Example: 1234567890@myboostmobile.com

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
    Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    [10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com

(MMS)
    Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile [10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net
    Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular [10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net

(SMS)
    [10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net

(MMS)
    Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon [10-digit phone number]@vtext.com
    [10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com

(MMS)
    Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA [10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com
    Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

Free Email To SMS Gateways (International + Smaller US)

These are all I could find from Wikipedia and other sources. If you
    gabba-hey likes this.
  4. gibbo

gibbo Member

5. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Site Temporarily Unavailable

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this. error id: "bad_httpd_conf"

Thats what the website says
  6. NiNi

NiNi G1/Cliq Guide

7. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

Thats currently unavailable too, not in the Market and their website says 'The Android Application of DesktopSMS is not currently available on the Android Market because the beta is not finished.'

Bad times!
  8. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Nini - do you have the BETA or do you have an original? Do you know anywhere else other than the android market I could get it?

Jonno
  9. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

10. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Thanks for that

I have downloaded it, on both my PC and HTC Hero,

I have connected my phone to the PC via USB, I have launched Desktop SMS, and it says 'launching...' on my phone, then just does nothing, doesnt open or anything. Can anyone help me connect to Desktop SMS properly?
  11. Yary

Yary Member

what exactly would this app do for you? You would still get sms charges by your mobile provider. Or may be I am missing something ?
  12. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you're in the USA or not, but have you considered Google Voice? It's SMS gateway via the web (and mobile app) is free.

The one big tradeoff right now is that you have to use a new phone #
  13. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Im in the UK, I see it as an easier way to text as I have unlimited texts. I work on the PC all day so being able to text off the PC would make my life much easier.

What is google Voice like if you dont mind me asking
  14. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

Google Voice is just the unified messaging portal for phone and SMS. It's all part of the "Google experience," although it's still in beta.

It's web interface is very clean, and for messaging it works very well. It automatically resolves all of the contacts for composing messages as well as receiving them.
  15. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

I would use GV but its not available here in the UK yet, although I have an invitation for it lol.

I guess we'll just have to wait until something comes up, or Droid Messenger get their arses in gear.
  16. simon211175

simon211175 Active Member

17. jonno

jonno Well-Known Member

Hi Simon,

I have downloaded and tried - but I cant seem to connect to the software on the PC. Please explain how you got to work

Cheers
  18. simon211175

simon211175 Active Member

On the desktop app:

Click on preferences.
    Fill in the path to the adb.exe file (you need to Android SDK for this file).
    Fill in the path to save whatever it needs to be saving.
  19. Edward Turner

Edward Turner Active Member

Great little app. Perfect for those of us with unlimited text plans. Thanks for the info.
  20. dkfireblade

dkfireblade New Member

Google voice is great. I use it for SMS and call forwarding. Its perfect if you want to send a message that you know isnt going to get a response.
    The GV app for android is awesome.
  21. zobotech

zobotech New Member

Hi, I am the developer of droidmessenger. I was having some server trouble back then, there shouldn't be any trouble now. I am actually considering an update with a way more advanced interface but I am not sure yet.
  22. cougare

cougare New Member

Hi Zobotech !

I love your app, especially because it allows me to send smses even when I forgot my cell phone at home !
    There only seems to be a big delay before the sms actually gets sent ...
    Please let me know if you want me to test out some stuff, I can send 1000 smses for free every month ;-)

Even more, I have some experience in small android apps (I've teached some basic android programming to students), so I can help with some coding if necessary ...

greetings,
    cougare
  23. bassmanb

bassmanb New Member

Android How to for DesktopSMS Or Desktop SMS– USB ONLY.
    How to send and receive a text from pc or send and receive a text from computer.
    Developer Site: (Thanks guys – Works Great)
    http://sites.google.com/site/desktopsmsforandroid/en/howto#TOC-Downloads
    You should have an unzipping package installed as well as the latest version of Java. This also assumes you have no other android USB drivers installed. I don’t know if they may cause problems.
    I wrote these after the fact – so they may be a little goofed up. These are my directions for my “MyTouch 2G” and if you choose to follow them, then do so at YOUR OWN RISK.
    1. Download these two packages:
    DesktopSMSServer.apk
    MainGUI.jar
    http://code.google.com/p/desktopsms/downloads/list
    2. Using Android Market on your handset download and install “Astro File Manager”.
    3. Copy “desktopSMSServer.apk” to your Android device storage by mounting your Android Phone to your computer via USB. I put the file in a directory I named “Install”.
    4. Disconnect your handset from your computer.
    5. On your handset, check the box in Settings/Applications/Unknown Sources. This way you phone will install the handset application.
    6. Using Astro File Manager browse to the directory on your storage card (called “install” in this case) and touch the file. The app should install
    7. On your handset, check the box in Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging.
    8. USB DRIVER: Download the Android SDK Install package interface here:
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Once you download the package, unzip and run “SDK Setup”. My SDK interface would not connect to the server to download packages. I had to check the box under “Settings” “Misc” “Force https….”. Once this was done the interface downloaded the SDK packages. I unchecked all except “USB Driver Package” Install the USB Driver Package. Reboot your computer.
    9. Create a directory on your computer called “save” or whatever you want.
    10. Run the “mainGUI.jar” file and click “preferences” and browse to the path of your downloaded and unzipped SDK Install package. You’re looking for “ADB.EXE” Should be “/androidtools-skd-windows/tools/adb.exe”.
    11. Then click the “save dir” button and browse to that directory you just created called “save”.
    12. Close the “mainGUI.jar” window.
    13. At this point, connect your phone to your computer. Then run the DesktopSMS app on your Android handset.
    14. Now start the “mainGUI.jar” file and click connect. Your contacts should download and be displayed. Double click one and send a message.
    NOTE: Every time a message came in, the “mainGUI.jar” on my computer would disconnect. I would have to reconnect and click refresh to read the message.
    Disconnect (This is my way):
    1. Close the ‘mainGUI.jar” app.
    2. Shut down the app on your phone
    3. Shut down the adb.exe process running on your computer by using task manager and right clicking on adb.exe “end process”.
    4. Disconnect the phone by ejecting it as normal using the “safetly remove/eject hardware icon”.
  24. oofman

oofman New Member

hmm I've tried this, and even though the desktop .jar file is indicating that it is launching the server on the device, nothing happens...I've already installed the apk on my phone and mounted the phone via USB.
    One thing is that I'm on 1.5 running htc sense, and when clicking on the app it just say launching and nothing happens...anyone can help here?
  25. oofman

oofman New Member

ok seems like it is working now! the culprit is the USB debugging setting that needs to be ticked on the phone..but now everytime i get a reply to the msg, it will fc the app on the phone and disconnect it :(