• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

send sms from computer

There's an app for this - Droid Messenger. Only their site is down, so can't try it. Is there an alternative app? I want to be able to send texts from my computer - through the web to my phone - then out to the recipient.

Cheers

Here are some common Email ports to send sms to phones on carriers networks ..

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net
Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com
Cingular: phonenumber@cingularme.com
Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com
Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

I had a more extensive list link somewhere on this site but can not find it .... :(

MORE >>>>>>>>>>>>

Free Email To SMS Gateways (Major US Carriers)

Carrier Email to SMS Gateway
Alltel [10-digit phone number]@message.alltel.com
Example: 1234567890@message.alltel.com AT&T (formerly

Cingular) [10-digit phone number]@txt.att.net
[10-digit phone number]@mms.att.net (MMS)
[10-digit phone number]@cingularme.com
Example: 1234567890@txt.att.net

Boost Mobile [10-digit phone number]@myboostmobile.com
Example: 1234567890@myboostmobile.com

Nextel (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit telephone number]@messaging.nextel.com
Example: 1234567890@messaging.nextel.com

Sprint PCS (now Sprint Nextel) [10-digit phone number]@messaging.sprintpcs.com
[10-digit phone number]@pm.sprint.com

(MMS)
Example: 1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

T-Mobile [10-digit phone number]@tmomail.net
Example: 1234567890@tmomail.net

US Cellular [10-digit phone number]email.uscc.net

(SMS)
[10-digit phone number]@mms.uscc.net

(MMS)
Example: 1234567890@email.uscc.net

Verizon [10-digit phone number]@vtext.com
[10-digit phone number]@vzwpix.com

(MMS)
Example: 1234567890@vtext.com

Virgin Mobile USA [10-digit phone number]@vmobl.com
Example: 1234567890@vmobl.com

Free Email To SMS Gateways (International + Smaller US)

These are all I could find from Wikipedia and other sources. If you

Reactions: gabba-hey
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hi Zobotech !

I love your app, especially because it allows me to send smses even when I forgot my cell phone at home !
There only seems to be a big delay before the sms actually gets sent ...
Please let me know if you want me to test out some stuff, I can send 1000 smses for free every month ;-)

Even more, I have some experience in small android apps (I've teached some basic android programming to students), so I can help with some coding if necessary ...

greetings,
cougare

Upvote 0
Android How to for DesktopSMS Or Desktop SMS– USB ONLY.
How to send and receive a text from pc or send and receive a text from computer.
Developer Site: (Thanks guys – Works Great)
http://sites.google.com/site/desktopsmsforandroid/en/howto#TOC-Downloads
You should have an unzipping package installed as well as the latest version of Java. This also assumes you have no other android USB drivers installed. I don’t know if they may cause problems.
I wrote these after the fact – so they may be a little goofed up. These are my directions for my “MyTouch 2G” and if you choose to follow them, then do so at YOUR OWN RISK.
1. Download these two packages:
DesktopSMSServer.apk
MainGUI.jar
http://code.google.com/p/desktopsms/downloads/list
2. Using Android Market on your handset download and install “Astro File Manager”.
3. Copy “desktopSMSServer.apk” to your Android device storage by mounting your Android Phone to your computer via USB. I put the file in a directory I named “Install”.
4. Disconnect your handset from your computer.
5. On your handset, check the box in Settings/Applications/Unknown Sources. This way you phone will install the handset application.
6. Using Astro File Manager browse to the directory on your storage card (called “install” in this case) and touch the file. The app should install
7. On your handset, check the box in Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging.
8. USB DRIVER: Download the Android SDK Install package interface here:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
Once you download the package, unzip and run “SDK Setup”. My SDK interface would not connect to the server to download packages. I had to check the box under “Settings” “Misc” “Force https….”. Once this was done the interface downloaded the SDK packages. I unchecked all except “USB Driver Package” Install the USB Driver Package. Reboot your computer.
9. Create a directory on your computer called “save” or whatever you want.
10. Run the “mainGUI.jar” file and click “preferences” and browse to the path of your downloaded and unzipped SDK Install package. You’re looking for “ADB.EXE” Should be “/androidtools-skd-windows/tools/adb.exe”.
11. Then click the “save dir” button and browse to that directory you just created called “save”.
12. Close the “mainGUI.jar” window.
13. At this point, connect your phone to your computer. Then run the DesktopSMS app on your Android handset.
14. Now start the “mainGUI.jar” file and click connect. Your contacts should download and be displayed. Double click one and send a message.
NOTE: Every time a message came in, the “mainGUI.jar” on my computer would disconnect. I would have to reconnect and click refresh to read the message.
Disconnect (This is my way):
1. Close the ‘mainGUI.jar” app.
2. Shut down the app on your phone
3. Shut down the adb.exe process running on your computer by using task manager and right clicking on adb.exe “end process”.
4. Disconnect the phone by ejecting it as normal using the “safetly remove/eject hardware icon”.

Upvote 0
hmm I've tried this, and even though the desktop .jar file is indicating that it is launching the server on the device, nothing happens...I've already installed the apk on my phone and mounted the phone via USB.
One thing is that I'm on 1.5 running htc sense, and when clicking on the app it just say launching and nothing happens...anyone can help here?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones