Send SMS via adb or other command

Last Updated:

1. mikep554

mikep554 Member This Topic's Starter

I am in IT and I monitor a number of systems. When things are out of whack, my monitoring system sends out an alert email. If the internet connection or firewall is the device that is down, obviously the emails don't go out.

I would like to be able to hook up a phone to my monitoring system and (ideally through an adb shell) cause an SMS text message to go out via the cell network, bypassing the firewall/internet completely.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Advertisement
  2. amluto

amluto New Member

You could certainly write an app that sends SMS messages and you could talk to it via adb (might take some manual fiddling), but it's probably a lot easier (and cheaper) to get a 3G modem.

3. bisbers

bisbers Well-Known Member

I'm really confused. Not about the sms adb stuff. But about the fact that I know I replied to this thread friday morning.

Wtf? And it lists that you posted this friday afternoon? I was actually very active friday morning, but it appears like all of that is missing....

4. bisbers

bisbers Well-Known Member

Okay, so I see the issue with the server crashing and all. Not cool. But anyway....

1. desktopsms - Project Hosting on Google Code might work
    2. You probably need an app on the phone to do this, i don't know if it will be possible by adb (via shell script).

- The idea I had the other day, was something like, write a quick app that sits on the phone and polls for payload files being placed like on the sd card or something.
    -Then have the server drop a file with the necessary info (dest #, event info, etc). - The phone then SMS's it off to the destination.

The reason this approach might be desired, after the initial app that runs as a service on the phone, your shell scripts can push the payload file and the device that does this wouldn't necessarily NEED a data plan - so a prepaid or something might keep costs down. Just charges SMS ad-hoc.

Anyway - the droid incredible root forums is probably not the best place for this convo, I'd suggest checking the android development section of AF.