sending audio through SMS

Last Updated:

1. somekid13

somekid13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hey i am trying to send a ringtone to my wife and have tried handcent and chomp but i always exceed the limit. just wondering if anyone has figured out what the data limit is on those or a good work around. thank you all.

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

I think the MMS limit is like 300K. Not too large.

Depending on what phone your wife has, you can try sending the file via bluetooth.

Android doesn't support this very well natively, but the app 'Bluetooth File Transfer' should do the trick.

3. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

When i send any sort of audio file i use Astro, long press on the file and send through any of the listing. I usually use gmail.

4. somekid13

The only issue that I have ever had BFT and culdnt get it to connect to send a file. I have sent them using gmail before. I might jjust have to do that. thank you for the responses. Keep em coming.

5. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Handcent allows you to change the maximum file size up to 1 MB, under Maximum MMS size. I am not sure if there is still a limitation on Verizon's end or not.

6. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

use gmail and send to her phone using cellphonenumber@vtext.com. I've done this with an audio file I converted using tubedownloader and I'm 100% sure that it was over 300kb.

edit: I'm assuming she has verizon as well.

7. suXor

suXor Well-Known Member

You should be able to send it via MMS regardless of size. The MMSC (Multimedia Service Center) on the recipients network will transcode it for the target device base don that device's profile in the system (right file type, etc). You may be able to send a 5MB MP3, but they would get a smaller version that has been degraded through transcoding on the network.

YMMV, each carrier is different and each device is different. 2 different models would likely get two different results of the same file when it arrived on the device.

8. somekid13

she has a droid too and yes verizon. i will have to mess with handcent again. thank you all for your input.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

9. somekid13

ok so i downloaded handcent and played with it for a min and by far it is what i needed. i can send audio now. yay! thak you for thelp guys.

10. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

You could always just email it to her. Or do the bluetooth file transfer - there's an app for that.

11. somekid13

nice pun on apple. i tried emailing it but it wouldnt let me save the file. handcent is working nicely though.