Sending data to PC

Last Updated:

1. jonatan.olofsson

jonatan.olofsson New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Nice forum you seem to have going here. I'm new to android programming (experienced programmer though), and i thought i should write an app to export accelerometer data to my PC. I found some examples on how to use the accelerometers, but I wanted to make some inquiries about how to send this data (over usb, at the moment) to the PC, for example (perhaps preferably) to a linux tty port.

Have any of you done anything like this?

Best regards,
    Jonatan

Advertisement
  2. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Welcome to the world of Android dev!

First of all, USB is still pretty uncharted territory when it comes to Android dev. There are only a handful of apps that actually use the feature.

With that said, have you considered other methods such as simply e-mailing the data to a user and they can thus check it on any computer or e-mail capable device? Another great option is bluetooth.

Is there a reason this must be done via USB?

3. jonatan.olofsson

jonatan.olofsson New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

My application is supposed to deliver accelerometer data at a fast rate to a PC, so email is not an option.
    I did, however, settle for a tcp connection, which can be tunneled by adb (even to a tty port) over usb to the PC.

Thank you for taking time to respond to this issue.

4. jonbonazza

jonbonazza Well-Known Member

I am glad you were able to figure things out. I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I did not think of tcp (lol). That was actually a very good approach.