Sending E-mails & Voice Search

Last Updated:

1. mobily

mobily Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

I have had my HTC Desire now for a couple of weeks and am still getting to grips with the many uses that this fantastic phone has.

I have come across a couple of issues when using the phone on a day to day basis and would be grateful if you guys could share your experience and let me now where I am going wrong!!!

The first problem I have encountered is sending e-mails when not connected via wi-fi at home. My isp is virgin media and e-mail address us @blueyonder.co.uk. Before I got the phone I was using pop3 but have now moved over to imap which is great but I cannot send e-mails using the smtp server of virgin media when connected via 3g.

I have done a little research and found that some isp's do not allow e-mails to be sent using their smtp server to prevent spamming. My network provider is orange but I can't seem to use their smtp server either. I gave them a call and they confirmed they no longer allow this.

Is there any way I can send e-mails on 3g or will I either have to open a hotmail account or if I want to send an e-mail connect to the webmail service?

My second problem is the google voice search application which I downloaded after reading so many good things about it. It is great if you want to carry out a google search by voice but if I say 'call James' for example if will just suggest a google search for 'call James' rather than actually calling James.

I'v seen the video that the annoying google man does where he says 'e-mail jack black' and an e-mail miraculously appears... I want that!! Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks for reading and sorry for the long post :)

James

Advertisement