Sending emails on DesireSupport

Last Updated:

1. ZZtop

ZZtop Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone, I have a new Desire with T Mobile and I have gone through the automated email set up via my "POP3" account with Ntlworld. Problem is, whilst I receive my emails, I cannot send emails. To be honest, this is not an area that I am very good at, so I might be missing something daft. Does anyone know of something obvious I can do, or can they help me to check my settings, please?

Advertisement
  2. jred7469

jred7469 Well-Known Member

Hi ZZtop,

I used to have ntlworld email accounts before I moved to gmail,

in the settings you need the following

username: first half of email address before @ sign eg my.name@ntlworld.com would be my.name

pop.ntlworld.com
    smtp.ntlworld.com

That should be all you need, let me know if you have anything different or need anything else

3. ZZtop

Thanks for help, it is appreciated.
    Apart from it being a POP3 account everything seems correct. The message reads,"the outgoing server cannot authenticate your account details, check settings"

4. Rew

Rew Well-Known Member

I don't think you can send emails from a non NTL line, you can only receive them. Thats why most people use web based email address.

I fix a lot of computers that have NTL lines and when in my house (non NTL) I can only ever get them to receive, soon as I plug them back into the NTL line it all works fine.

It's an NTL problem. Best thing is to ring them to find out for sure.

5. ZZtop

Thanks, used the same ntl account for my blackberry, so I think there must be another problem. I'll give ntl a ring anyway.
    Thanks again.

6. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

I've experienced that several times, you often need to be on an ISP's own network to use their SMTP servers. Maybe you can set your gmail up to use your NTL e-mail as the reply-to mail? And then just send mails with gmail.

7. Rotor

Rotor Well-Known Member

I asked Virgin about using my old NTL email address and was told that it wouldn't be possible . It's NTL/Virgin's fault but there's nothing you can do about it at the moment, that's what they told me anyway.

Ended up setting up a new googlemail account to use on my Desire.

8. ZZtop

'm pleasantly puzzled. I sent ntl an email last night and received standard reply saying that they would get back to me within 48 hours.1 hour later my emails were sending ok. So I'm not sure what has happened, but all is well now. Thanks for your help, everyone, it is appreciated.