• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sending emails via ntl on my desire ?? just stopped working

firestarter

Lurker
Jul 19, 2010
hi ive had the phone for about a month now and not changed anything but its just stopped sending. when i set it up initially the outgoing server was an ntl one which was suprising as ive always had to use o2 on other phones but it worked a treat on my ntl. but now its only sending mails if im on home wifi connection not on the 02 network ;-( any ideas thanks

I would say you will have to use NTL's POP3 server for incoming and O2's SMTP server for outgoing.

Something like this

iPhone e-mail settings

POP Account Information
Name your name
Address your ntl email
Description up to you!

Incoming Mail Server
Host Name pop.ntlworld.com
User name your ntl username
Password your ntl logon password

Outgoing Mail Server (setup as primary server)
SMTP smtp.o2.co.uk
Host name smtp.o2.co.uk
User name your o2 username
Password your o2 logon password
Use SSL Off
Authentication Password
Server port 25

According to my brother he's having probs recently with virgin mail so perhaps they are making changes.

You may even be able to use IMAP instead of POP3\SMTP.

Upvote 0
NTL have upgraded(?) their servers and now require secure connections, which won't be helping.
SMTP server name - smtp.ntlworld.com
SMTP SSL - Enabled
SMTP port - 465
SMTP authentication - Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
SMTP username - full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

Receiving mail (POP3)
POP3 server name - pop3.ntlworld.com
POP3 SSL - Enabled
POP3 port - 995
POP3 authentication - Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
POP3 username -full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com
POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) - Disabled

Receiving mail (IMAP4)
IMAP4 server name - imap.ntlworld.com
IMAP4 SSL - Enabled
IMAP4 port - 993
IMAP4 authentication - Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
IMAP4 username -full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com
IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) - Disabled

On the other hand, their new service is a rebranded Google...:D

These changes are related to the launch of a new service, Virgin Media Mail, based on Google technology, which is now available to anyone who has a virgin.net, ntlworld.com, blueyonder.co.uk or virginmedia.com email address. Take a look on our website for more information.

W

Upvote 0
Virgin have been having major issues with their email service over the last few days. A lot of people have been getting "-ERR Invalid Backend" errors, so don't worry too much if your settings are correct (as posted above, as you need to use the new settings posted by Warwick) and you're having intermittent issues.

A tip if you want to receive your @ntlworld.com email on multiple devices is to append "recent:" to your email address in the incoming email server settings, so for example, if your email address was this: -

davesmith@ntlworld.com

You would enter it in as this in the incoming mail settings of any devices (including PCs) used to receive email: -

recent:davesmith@ntlworld.com

Just make sure that if you do this, that the authentication settings for the outgoing server only include your full email address and don't have "recent:" appended to it.

Also, the first time you receive mail after doing this, it will download all mail received in the last 30 days, but that will only happen once and on one device. I set it up on my PC first, which pulled in all email for the last 30 days (which I then deleted) and once that was done I could then set it up on my phone as normal.

Why do all this, you might ask? With Virgin's new system, an email is automatically deleted off the server when it's downloaded, so if you receive an email on your phone, you won't then receive the same email on your PC when you check later on. Doing the above means that you can receive the same emails on all of your devices if you wish.

To clarify then, if you want email automatically deleted from the server when only 1 device has received it use the settings Warwick posted. If you want to receive the same emails on multiple devices, use the following settings (important bits highlighted in bold): -

SMTP server name - smtp.ntlworld.com
SMTP SSL - Enabled
SMTP port - 465
SMTP authentication - Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs) - Ensure that only your full email address is used as the username and it does NOT have "recent:" appended to it
SMTP username - full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

Receiving mail (POP3)
POP3 server name - pop3.ntlworld.com
POP3 SSL - Enabled
POP3 port - 995
POP3 authentication - Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
POP3 username -full e-mail address with "recent:" (without quotes) appended to it, e.g., recent:richard.branson@ntlworld.com
POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) - Disabled

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones