sending pics via messaging

Last Updated:

1. pippin65

pippin65 Active Member This Topic's Starter

hi, so far I love my sprint hero, but am on the fence about sprint itself. tons of people have told me how they hated sprints service, customer service, etc...
    my wife and I thought the ability to send pics via messaging is a cool feature however it doesn't appear to work all that well...
    have tried the built in and also handcent messaging... am connected currently via my wifi at home and that doesn't help either. i realize there are probably size restrictions ( size anyone) but it should work sometimes. also the voice record feature on handsentend feature doesn't work either... any tips or tricks would be appreciated...:eek:

Advertisement
  2. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

Not too sure about the question. You love the Hero but are saying it doesn't work for you? Or are you saying you love the Hero but because it is Sprint it doesn't work for you? I'm not quite sure.

3. pippin65

pippin65 Active Member This Topic's Starter

the sending pictures in messages does not work... the other part of my question was designed to elicit responses as to whether peeps on the board like/hate/ or are satisfied with sprints service....
    was my question that lame and poorly written OR are you being difficult?:confused:

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Use the stock app, turn your mobile internet on.

After you take the picture go to Albums and choose "crop" then share it via text.

Mms will not work via WiFi.

5. DFRESH

DFRESH Well-Known Member

Pippin, when you are using Wi-fi you can not send pics through handcent or stock sms. Turn wi-fi off and use sprint network in order to be able to send pictures.

And you can only send files up to 1mb through your phone, that goes pretty much for any other network out there.

6. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

Truthfully, I have had far, far fewer problems with Sprint than I had with Cingular/ATT. Customer service has been good so far, can't say that about my previous carrier.

7. KruegerNerd

KruegerNerd Member

I'm also having trouble sending pictures. The message I get is that it's saying the file is too large to send. I'm a little confused because especially with the technology we have nowadays, and the fact that this is a smart phone, don't you think if it can take a picture on the phone, that it will send the picture??? Or at least automatically resize it to a sending size??? I text pictures back and forth all the time to friends, but every time I want to send a picture, I have to go and open PicSay and load the pic in there and send it. That's kind of a hassle for a brand new phone with "loads" of technology. Just seems like something Sprint must've overlooked, ya know???

8. KruegerNerd

KruegerNerd Member

.... and then when I took my phone to the Sprint store to figure it out, I was talking to a rep who had the same phone as I did. He told me that his phone automatically resized the pic so it would send, but that it was through handcent. I proceeded to tell him that I've tried handcent and the messaging app that came with the Hero, and he just friggin ignored me and was like "Well IDK because mine automatically does it for me".... so I was like "Okay well do I have a faulty phone then or something?" and he said "No, you prob just need to restart it or something, or just hit the home key and try again."

Obviously he had no idea what the hell he was talking about, and I got absolutely no help at all, and his suggestions didn't work, like I figured.

9. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

Handcent SHOULD resize the pic automatically, it always has for me so I have no idea why it wouldn't for you. There might be a setting in the app somewhere, but I don't think so. There's only the "max mms size setting", and mine is at 300

edit: It sometimes takes 2 hits of the "resize" button when I try to send a pic though

10. Drewray

Drewray Active Member

I have found that you need to disable your Wi-Fi to send picture messages. It doesn't always work when connected to a Wi-Fi network. FYI

11. Drewray

Drewray Active Member

If you're taking pic's with the the very nice 5 mega pixel camera built in the Hero... then you probably need to lower the resolution in the camera. This will result in a smaller pic file that you should be able to send via messaging. I experienced the identical issue, lowered the "quality" setting on the camera, and have not experienced anymore size limitation messages. FYI

12. MikeMcG

MikeMcG Well-Known Member

If you use Handcent, the picture automatically resize. At least they do for me. I have the picture setting on my camera set high, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you are in Handcent and hit Menu then attach. If you are in your photo album and click share, the stock messaging app takes over and usually will tell you that the file is too large to send.

13. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

The first time you click share from the albums, I think it should ask which program to use, and you can select Handcent.

14. MikeMcG

MikeMcG Well-Known Member

Your right, thanks.

15. FlyerDroid

FlyerDroid Member

I have been with Sprint for over six months now, and I love it. I came from T-mobile, which was good too, but the Sprint's pricing is hard to beat. As for MMS, I have the Hero and I have no issues with sending pictures. My wife and I exchange MMS all the time, all without a problem. I use hancent too, it always asks me to resize the pic.