sending rooted phone to Assurion

1. opeets

opeets Well-Known Member

I have a rooted Galaxy Nexus that I'm considering sending to Assurion for replacement due to a cracked screen.

Couple things I need to know.

First off...I rooted it a few months ago (I'm no expert at these things...I just followed directions on this site). I didn't install a custom ROM, I just basically wanted to root it so I could customize my desktop and what not.

Secondly....there was a point where Verizon wanted to push JB onto it but I didn't want it to mess things up for me so I found a way (with help from this site) to prevent the update.

Those two things being said....what do I need to do to prepare this phone for returning it to Assurion? I want it to be completely wiped clean and back to all factory settings.

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Just curious, why are you sending it back?
    The Gnex is super easy to unroot and re-lock the bootloader so it can't hurt. You can find the directions here:
    http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ot-restore-more-vzw-samsung-galaxy-nexus.html
    As far as whether it matters? If you have a cracked screen and looking for a replacement, root doesn't matter with Asurion. If you're looking to send it back to Verizon for a warranty replacement, then it definitely could.
    ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  3. opeets

opeets Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. Will these instructions also wipe clean any personal files (by that I mean writing 0s to memory)?

I dropped it last week and have a nasty crack on the screen that seems to be getting larger every day.
  4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Hmm, relocking, I'm not entirely sure if it will wipe. If you can use the screen just fine, you can always backup an entire Nandroid to your PC and any pertinent data. That way, when you receive your new Nexus (which hopefully you do!), you can restore that nandroid once it's rooted again.
  5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

the only thing is i believe nandroid backups are phone specific. so if you get a new phone, not sure if it will work or not, but i never had a Gnex so i could be wrong. i know on htc devices this is the case.
  6. opeets

opeets Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning, but I'm not really interested into doing a nandroid backup of my current phone just to restore it on a new phone.

Basically I want to start all over with the new phone (because it is likely to have JB anyway, while I still have ICS).

I just need to know (before I send the damage phone back), what I need to do to completely wipe it clean just like it was the day I first got it. Similar to a low-level format for hard drives, where all zeroes are written. I want no possibility of personal files being recoverable.
  7. mpsmit3

mpsmit3 Member

Is Asurion still sending out GNex for claims? I thought I read somewhere they were sending people back GSIII's instead.
  8. opeets

opeets Well-Known Member

I just the got new replacement gnex two days ago...and it already had JB on it.