• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sends to Wrong Area Code

Nick The Great

Jun 3, 2010
Iowa
So I'm having a weird issue with my phone. I've had the Inc since June of 2010 and haven't found anything worth upgrading to. But I'm having a weird issue.

I live in area code 111 and my mother and sister each have a phone number in 222. The last few times I've tried to send a photo message to my mother it goes to the 111 version of her number. I get a reply from some guy wondering what is up. This has happened twice with my mother and once with my sister.

As far as I know it is just when I'm doing pictures. I tried searching but didn't find much. :thinking:

So I'm having a weird issue with my phone. I've had the Inc since June of 2010 and haven't found anything worth upgrading to. But I'm having a weird issue.

I live in area code 111 and my mother and sister each have a phone number in 222. The last few times I've tried to send a photo message to my mother it goes to the 111 version of her number. I get a reply from some guy wondering what is up. This has happened twice with my mother and once with my sister.

As far as I know it is just when I'm doing pictures. I tried searching but didn't find much. :thinking:

111 is not an area code. It is (if I remember correctly) the Yahoo code for sending media.

222 is not an area code, either. It is the Muritania country code.

Upvote 0

Like Frisco said above... Those aren't valid area codes.??. Just in case you are just using those digits as an example... Messages will only send to the number you have saved in your contacts...so just go into your contacts...and make sure you have the numbers saved correctly, and don't have any other numbers saved for them.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help. I have all my area codes entered as fake ones. Problem solved. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes, I was using them as examples. I have the numbers saved into my contacts with the correct area codes. They aren't linked through Facebook or anything. But it does send the picture to the area code I'm physically in. I'm also doing it through the "Share Photo" feature. Maybe it clips off area codes or something? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Yes, I was using them as examples. I have the numbers saved into my contacts with the correct area codes. They aren't linked through Facebook or anything. But it does send the picture to the area code I'm physically in. I'm also doing it through the "Share Photo" feature. Maybe it clips off area codes or something? :thinking:
Are you using the stock messaging app? From what I remember of the "share" feature, it simply opened up my messaging app... and the messaging app simply accessed phone numbers through the "people" app. There is no way I know of for it to automatically assume area codes or phone numbers.

You could try deleting the contact cards completely for your sister/mother. The phone has to be getting the erroneous area codes from somewhere stored on your phone or possibly another app.

Reactions: Nick The Great
Upvote 0
Are you using the stock messaging app? From what I remember of the "share" feature, it simply opened up my messaging app... and the messaging app simply accessed phone numbers through the "people" app. There is no way I know of for it to automatically assume area codes or phone numbers.

You could try deleting the contact cards completely for your sister/mother. The phone has to be getting the erroneous area codes from somewhere stored on your phone or possibly another app.

i'm using the stock dialer, messaging apps but I'll try the deleting trick. I've been really wanting to upgrade so as soon as I find that perfect phone this won't matter anyway ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones