• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sense 3 keeps crashing on orange desire s

It's unlikely that rooting alone would stop your phone crashing. It's changing ROMs, e.g. to a custom ROM or stock ROM, that would (or should) solve the problem.

However, before going down that road, there are a few things to try to see if you can solve things on your current set-up.

First, try a soft reset, Power off phone > Remove battery for 30 seconds > Replace battery and power on.

If you're using an app killer, try getting rid of that, as that can be the cause of crashes. Let Android look after itself.

Check to see if there are any processes or rogue apps hogging your system. Menu > Settings > Applications > Running services > And check to see if there are any there that shouldn't really be there or are trying to start.

Check your phone for viruses, malware, etc.

Finally, try a factory reset. If your system is still crashing after a factory reset, then, either return it to Orange for a replacement or look at rooting/Gold card, which will invalidate your warranty unless you can get your phone back to how it was.

Upvote 0
hi notebook
i have done a soft reset a few times now but with no good results.

i have no app killer as such but i am using juice defender but it doesnt seem to have much effect as my battery life is still rubbish.

there isnt really much showing in running services but i will list them:
mail
wallpaper
settings
words free
go sms
juice defender
zdbox
whats app
calender
back up
google services
maessages
maps
maps (again???)
facebook
touch input

i am using lookout as my anti virus which scans anything i download....any good?

and finaly i really didnt want to do a factory reset as it deletes everything off my phone doesnt it?

cheers

Upvote 0
@groggy

ZDBox has an app killer, so I'd definitely uninstall that, even if you're not using it. The rest seems fine to me, although I don't know what Touch Input is (do you?) and I'd try living without Juice Defender just to see what the impact is.

Lookout is fine.

A factory reset will restore the phone to its new-out-of-the-box state. You'll lose all your personal data. However, a lot of personal data can can be either backed-up or exists on the cloud and can be re-synced again, and market apps can be re-installed, etc. You'd have the same issue re personal data if you rooted and tried a custom ROM.

Reactions: groggy
Upvote 0
@groggy

You can try a 'logcat' app on AndroidMarket, but these aren't necessarily easy to interpret: I'm not a developer, which is who these apps are aimed at. They may point to a symptom, but not the cause, which could lead you on a wild goose chase, especially if the problem is with the OS rather than an app.

If the cause is your Android OS and not any app per se, then you're probably not going to be able to do any keyhole surgery on the OS to fix the problem - a factory reset or ROM flash will be the only realistic solution.

Upvote 0
Custom ROMs allow for more choices regarding user interface (the way the Home screens look), apps and feel. Once rooted, you can also clock the phone's processor to get more speed out of it, although this will affect battery performance.

The latest Sense 3.0 HTC ROMs are generally quicker and more efficient than Sense 2.1, and battery performance is significantly improved.

The best way to see what's on offer is to search YouTube for Desire S custom ROMs and HTC Sense 3 ROMs. Most of the customs ROMs have their own website and/or a dedicated thread on the forums sections of xda-developers.com.

To install a custom ROM, you'll have to first root your phone. To install a stock non-branded HTC ROM, you can use a Gold card and avoid rooting.

Upvote 0
Have you tried clearing the cache and data associated with Sense? Settings -> Apps -> Manage Applications -> All -> HTC Sense -> Clear Cache & Data.

It's like a mini factory reset. You won't lose apps and data, but stuff like your icon placement, widgets etc will need to be setup again.

not sure if i did but i will do it now.
cheers

Upvote 0
It might because if you're pressing the home button to exit apps, you're relaunching Sense if that makes Sense (that sentence sounds weird)? If there's bad data associated with the launcher, clearing both that and cache might sort it.

hmmmm ok
now i seem to rememeber reading somewhere that you should press the back button to exit apps...is that correct? as it is when i press the home button when it is crashin.

Upvote 0
Have you tried clearing the cache and data associated with Sense? Settings -> Apps -> Manage Applications -> All -> HTC Sense -> Clear Cache & Data.

It's like a mini factory reset. You won't lose apps and data, but stuff like your icon placement, widgets etc will need to be setup again.

there are 2 htc sense apps one with the hts logo which i cleared cache and one with the htc clocl/weather app which wont let be clear anything as it is greyed out.
but it is still crashing :(

Upvote 0
Hello,

Just thought I'd add my two peneth into the fray. My brother has a Desire S on O2 acne recently upgraded to sense 3. All of a sudden the power button developed a mind of its own, working, not working randomly. No option menu would pop up when held. Even worse was when it went into sleep, there was no way of waking the phone apart from getting a call or other notification. Essentially making it a brick and unusable.
TA bit of research later, installed Go Launcher from Google Play and everything is fine. it also happens on the sensation.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Just thought I'd add my two peneth into the fray. My brother has a Desire S on O2 acne recently upgraded to sense 3. All of a sudden the power button developed a mind of its own, working, not working randomly. No option menu would pop up when held. Even worse was when it went into sleep, there was no way of waking the phone apart from getting a call or other notification. Essentially making it a brick and unusable.
TA bit of research later, installed Go Launcher from Google Play and everything is fine. it also happens on the sensation.
Mine seems fine now mikey now I uninstalled that live wallpaper app.
The only time it seems to crash now is when I come out of drawsomthing.

Upvote 0
Hello groggy,

You gotta change your launcher mate, Go Launcher, has resolved my bros crashing. It got so bad at its height, sense was crashing about 6 times every quarter of an hour! Pretty much he had to either get a text I'd phone call to be able to get into his phone, effectively bricking it on O2. He wasn't impressed as he'd come to android on my suggestion...

Problem is we've now found another problem with the pesky thing... in it connects to his home WiFi network no problem but won't load any pages... his computer works on sane WiFi and so does his 3G data connection. Ho hum...

If anyone can help with this problem leave me a message and/or link. Seems another common problem with the S

Upvote 0
Hello groggy,

You gotta change your launcher mate, Go Launcher, has resolved my bros crashing. It got so bad at its height, sense was crashing about 6 times every quarter of an hour! Pretty much he had to either get a text I'd phone call to be able to get into his phone, effectively bricking it on O2. He wasn't impressed as he'd come to android on my suggestion...

Problem is we've now found another problem with the pesky thing... in it connects to his home WiFi network no problem but won't load any pages... his computer works on sane WiFi and so does his 3G data connection. Ho hum...

If anyone can help with this problem leave me a message and/or link. Seems another common problem with the S

Hi mikey
Ive gone for it and installed it and im having a bit of a mess round with it now but i cant get any of my bookmarks to come up? I was using boat browser but had all my bookmarks on one of my screens but cant seem to find them now?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones