• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Sense Keeps Crashing

Hi,

Has anybody else with a HTC One X suffer from Sense crashing a lot?

At least 4-5 times a day when I exit an app/browser I am greeted with a circular loading icon while Sense is reloading. I do have loads of apps installed so maybe it could be one of them.

I think I need to do a factory reset and gradually re-install the apps instead of one big download that I did when I first got the phone.

Just wondering if it is just me or a common problem.

Thanks

This issue first started to happen to my HTC Sensation. Never had it on my desire, desire HD, Desire S. I was hoping that the ICS update on the Sensation would resolve the issue. But it didn't. Now it'd still an issue with the OneX. Do a search on sense reboot on the Sensation, and you'll get a lot of hits.

It'd most likely an bad app and a memory issue. Some appkillers are know for causing this. First advice is to disable fast reboot in the energie settings. For me this has almost resolved the issue. But it all depends on what apps you have installed. I never found the one solution. So finding that bad app is the answer. Still it never happens on the desire hd using almost the same apps. So it'd a Sensation/OneX issue.

Reactions: Numbster
Upvote 0
This has gone on since the HTC Hero. In the old days, you'd get a force close message, since last year (Sense 3 and greater, I guess) it just reboots itself. Citation -

My HTC Desire FIX: “The Application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly”

It's not unheard of for new HTC phones to get shipped with dirty caches, even for the operating system. I've personally adopted the practice of a factory data reset on any new HTC phone, just to be sure.

I know right, now I mention it.

Anyway, a factory data reset will erase your apps and data so I recommend MyBackup Pro. It costs $5 or however many pounds or Euros but pays for itself in saved time and lowered frustration.

Definitely avoid add-on task killers of any kind and watch for known rogues, like that agenda widget that spridell called up.

Personally, I have this happen rarely but when it does, I have always had multiple browsers or browser plus browser-like apps open.

So, maybe a good idea to check on that as a group and see if you have that in common. If so, I really recommend using Boat Browser as your default.

Hope this helps, wish I knew a more scientific way to debug this.

Upvote 0
This issue first started to happen to my HTC Sensation. Never had it on my desire, desire HD, Desire S. I was hoping that the ICS update on the Sensation would resolve the issue. But it didn't. Now it'd still an issue with the OneX. Do a search on sense reboot on the Sensation, and you'll get a lot of hits.

It'd most likely an bad app and a memory issue. Some appkillers are know for causing this. First advice is to disable fast reboot in the energie settings. For me this has almost resolved the issue. But it all depends on what apps you have installed. I never found the one solution. So finding that bad app is the answer. Still it never happens on the desire hd using almost the same apps. So it'd a Sensation/OneX issue.

I had this problem every time I pressed the home button. After disabling the fast boot and rebooting it hasn't happened once (touch wood)

Thank you.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Mine kept crashing / reloading HTC Sense on exiting or pressing the home button every one in five or six times .

It was extremely frustrating! Followed some of the recommendations in this thread. So far I have removed the HTC Agenda Widget and cleared the HTC Sense cache by going to settings, apps, all, HTC Sense, then clear the cache. So far so good but I’ll get back on here if it starts again. I didn’t switch on and off, simply removed the widget and cleared the cache.

A few hours later: -
I have since had a few more reloads. Mainly when pressing home from Dolphin HD Browser. I cleared the Sense Cache, switched off for a couple of minutes and that still didn’t solve the problem. I have now uninstalled Dolphin and will see how that gets.

Several days later: -
Since uninstalling the Dolphin HD Browser, Sense has only reloaded once and that was on pressing the home button when coming out of the standard web browser. I’m guessing it didn’t like the page I was on. I placed the agenda widget on just as a test and sure enough Sense started to do the usual reload! Same when I reinstalled the Dolphin HD Browser. I have used the agenda view in the normal calendar app and that seems fine. Seems it is specific to the Widget.

I’m using a T-Mobile contract phone so it may be an issue with something they have put on. Can anyone recommend another Browser to use as I really hate the standard one?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I got mine today after upgrading from the desire, i have had no problems with any crashes what so ever. I have just been trying all sorts to see if i could get it to crash, but it seems very stable. Just a thought but are yours network supplied phones as it could be the usual problem of the crapware they insist on installing.

Upvote 0
T
Just got my htc one x... Multitasking really fast but i get a sense reboot if i press the home button while im on the broswer...its not often but it happens on two sites ..
If you open soccernet.com. the full desktop with flash and when you play a video on the right side and press home button sense reboots....but that doesnt bother me... Wat BOTHERS me is when you open the ferrari california page (just google ferrari California) and open the page)... Wait a minute so all flash videos are loaded and then the browser will crash and sense will reboot.... I have sensation xe and only sense reboots and the browser does not crash....PLEASE TRY LOADING FERRARI CALIFORNOA PAGE AND LET ME KNOW IF YOUR BROWSER CRASHES OR NOT... Its not a memory problem its got to do with sense or something htc has to fix the browser bugs soon..

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. Are you sure your on the Ferrari California page with flash enabled?
It crashes when it has loaded the Ferrari California multimedia about 80 percent . Cuz I did a factory reset and still the browser crashes both the standard and dolphin.. what version do you have I have 1.26.702....... Maybe I.have a bad set?

Ferrari California

If it does not crash on your mobile then I'm seriously really happy ill get my set replaced...
Again thanks for the quick reply

Upvote 0
Mine crashes often when used with the bluetooth handsfree in my car radio. There is an error message that states phone has had an abnormal reset. My Desire HD works perfectly. Contacted HTC and they adviced me to send it in for a check which I did.

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0
Mine keeps crashing when using the HTC Calendar/Agenda Widget, I've removed it and I don't get a problem at all now.

Same here. Mentioned it in passing in an open support post to HTC the other day and they suggest I clear the cache(!). My guess is there's a fault with it.

Annoyingly though, agenda widgets are the handy ones for me. I don't much care for the current weather, but what's coming up over the next few days is useful.

The fact that it's unstable and the calendars available are a little inflexible is a bit annoying.

Upvote 0
Same here. Mentioned it in passing in an open support post to HTC the other day and they suggest I clear the cache(!). My guess is there's a fault with it.

Annoyingly though, agenda widgets are the handy ones for me. I don't much care for the current weather, but what's coming up over the next few days is useful.

The fact that it's unstable and the calendars available are a little inflexible is a bit annoying.

Not to start a hijack about calendars, but I wanted to toss this out, seeing as how the HTC one is causing trouble.

I swore by the HTC calendar in Sense 1 and 2, but it when it came to Sense 3, it was limited compared to before, and frequently just wouldn't behave (sync issues, timezone issues, etc etc).

I switched to Business Calendar Free by Appgenix Software Free and my only complaint is that it's not as pretty as the HTC calendar that I gave up on - but for functionality, it just can't be beat in my opinion. Great, full screen widget, far more powerful than what I had previously in HTC.

Reactions: JasonC
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones