• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

samster

Jan 7, 2010
Arizona
I turned off Sense UI on new years. I love my phone now since I feel its way snappier, and I no longer have the issue of accidentally calling people when I really want to hang-up. Sense puts the 'Phone' soft button on the same place on screen as 'Call' and 'End' soft buttons, but now all I have there is the Application tray. Replicas or even better versions of the widgets can be found in the market, and did you really NEED 7 homescreens anyways?? I recommend anyone who is fed up like I was to try disabling Sense UI.

PS: Sense UI is the reason us HTC Desire/Droid Eris users don't have 2.0 yet, since Sense is an HTC thing, not Google, and therefore is not open source. HTC can take their sweet old time porting Sense to 2.0, who knows when we will see it! Boycott Sense UI LOL!!

I've only had my Eris for 2 days. I was wondering how you would call people on accident. I turn my screen off (which locks it) when I put it in my pocket and when browsing through the phone I have a desktop dedicated to the people widget. I'm just wondering so I can try to avoid it.

sense has a slight delay so when you hit end call on the screen...it looks like it didnt register so u hit it again but it took the first time!
so u end up calling the person u were just trying to hang up on back!
it is frustating but...still not ok with letting sense go...:eek:

Upvote 0
There is less of a delay if you use the physical end-call button, rather than the on screen one. The phone responds quicker, and you feel the 'click' so you KNOW that you pressed the button.

Ekyle, if you're referring to 'pocket dialing' I've found that by closing the phone app before I put the phone in my pocket that problem has gone away.

Upvote 0
sense has a slight delay so when you hit end call on the screen...it looks like it didnt register so u hit it again but it took the first time!
so u end up calling the person u were just trying to hang up on back!
it is frustating but...still not ok with letting sense go...:eek:

Exactly! I would try to press end call then realizing that it didnt register I would push it again several times. What I was actually pushing was the Sense UI phone button on the bottom and subsequently the call send button as well. It got quite annoying after awhile and thankfully I haven't run into that problem anymore. For the record I haven't butt dialed anyone and always pocket my phone with the screen locked, just would dial people when actually trying to hang up. I know I'm not the only one with this problem...

Upvote 0
i turned off sense last night and i think i prefer the vanilla android. i have an eris, but i originally bought a droid so when i returned that for the eris it took me some time to get used to sense. until reading these forums i didn't know you could turn off sense, now i feel like i got a new phone all over again. anyway its just personal preference.

Upvote 0
I love sense too, the wigets, the 7 screens, and the functionality of the phone. I do notice a lot of lag and what the thread author expernced. I had a G1 prior to the Eris so i was used to 3 screens. It worked well and i didnt have this much lag. Ill try it without sense for a while to see how different or if i like not.

Upvote 0
setting > applications > manage apps > htc sense app > clear defaults > force stop

then hit the home button it will ask you which home you want regular "home" or "htc sense" pick "home" and check use as default.

if you want to go back to sense do the same thing, but clear the defaults on "home" and force stop the home app.

when you click the home button then on the bottom of the screen it will ask you to choose again

Upvote 0
basically the way it looks and a few widgets. with sense off it will be 'vanilla' android much like the droid.
DroidvsDroidEris.jpg

Upvote 0
setting > applications > manage apps > htc sense app > clear defaults > force stop

then hit the home button it will ask you which home you want regular "home" or "htc sense" pick "home" and check use as default.

if you want to go back to sense do the same thing, but clear the defaults on "home" and force stop the home app.

when you click the home button then on the bottom of the screen it will ask you to choose again

That's wrong. You click on "reset defaults." not clear cache or force stop because that will just reset to basic Sense UI again.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I posted this in another forum and it may get more respone here. I followed the prescribed protocol to turn Sense UI off to see if I would like it. And i don't. I miss my widgets and the awesome set up I had. Problem is, I can't get it back even though I've followed the reverse directions. The first time I tried, the home button brought up my old HTC Sense button, which I clicked on and it returned the phone exactly the way I had it. Later, when I woke it to answer a call, it had reverted back to the plain droid. And when I hold the Home button down now, I don't even see the HTC Sence app/widget thingy available anymore. Now just the settings app.

I want it back...any ideas. Making me crazy. I have to stop messing with it...that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, I posted this in another forum and it may get more respone here. I followed the prescribed protocol to turn Sense UI off to see if I would like it. And i don't. I miss my widgets and the awesome set up I had. Problem is, I can't get it back even though I've followed the reverse directions. The first time I tried, the home button brought up my old HTC Sense button, which I clicked on and it returned the phone exactly the way I had it. Later, when I woke it to answer a call, it had reverted back to the plain droid. And when I hold the Home button down now, I don't even see the HTC Sence app/widget thingy available anymore. Now just the settings app.

I want it back...any ideas. Making me crazy. I have to stop messing with it...that's for sure.

make sure you clear defaults in both sense/home and force stop the "home" application. then push the home button, and you will be prompted to choose home or sense UI.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones