Sense UI...do you want it???

If you could have Sense UI, bug-free and easy to install, would you use instead?

Poll closed May 10, 2012.
  1. Yes, I want Sense UI over the stock Android look

28.3%
  2. No, I prefer the way Android 2.1 was meant to run

71.7%

Last Updated:

1. RayKinStL

RayKinStL Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I personally have no interest in the Sense UI. I love the stock Android. I don't use Home++ or any of that non sense. But with so much talk about it on here, I am wondering if I am in the minority. So here is a little poll to all my fellow Nexus One owners.

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence, despite being on a Desire ROM and liking it quite a lot. Basically, I hate the ^ Phone + tab at the bottom, which is a giant waste of screen real estate. home++ dock does it way, way better and even hides the notification bar. On the other hand, HTC's widgets and apps are a huge improvement over stock Android: the calendar widget, the music widget, the search widget, and of course the camera app.

So, yeah. Tough decision.

3. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Don't see a need for it myself, I do tend to like stock things and Android 2.1 is no exception.

I tried Home++ for the hell of it over the weekend and removed it after about 3 minutes lol

4. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

you guys do realize you don't HAVE to run that phone tab, right? it's completely customizable!

i wouldn't rush to judge something that you haven't experienced...

5. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if you would be able to replace Sense UI with Home++ or even Tat when it comes out?

The issue is this:

If sense UI cannot be customized beyond the limitations of the ROM, then stock android 2.1 is obviously the best, regardless of which works better.

Having the option is always better than not.

I could be wrong about this.

6. grainysand

Sense UI is, essentially, a home replacement. If you've got it, try clearing defaults through "Manage programs/applications"--a ROM that has Sense on it can, in fact, let you run stock Android complete with 3D app drawer and all.

So yep, you can install whatever home replacements you enjoy on a Sense UI ROM and use them instead.

7. zillah

zillah Well-Known Member

So I suppose the question then is just which does one prefer, which I can't answer since I haven't use Sense UI.

8. Myronbg

Myronbg Well-Known Member

I have looked, but could not find, just exactly are the differences between the two?

9. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I mean I like sense a lot but I was having issues with the text messaging time stamping. Also I didn't like friend stream, which mixes your twitter and fb feed togeyther. So I'm baking a custom rom with the 2.1 texting and no friend stream.

10. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

I voted NO! If there was a "HELL NO !" , I would have choose that

11. grainysand

Well, Paul's online kitchen does allow you to do that already (stock messaging app, ditching friend stream). But regardless, people without access to his kitchen can still push the stock messaging app and remove friend stream through adb.

12. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

I have only tried sense on my mytouch, not on the nexus one, but i can tell you this i really dont see the hype. It has a few nice widgets and the way info from different contacts was synced together was kinda nice not to mention exchange support, but a lot of that has been fixed with 2.1. What i did like or rather do like about sense is that the option was always there to turn it off and run stock android, this is something other phone manufactures should mimic in their own custom UI's. It gives the customer more options and im always for more options.

13. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I had Sense on the Hero (Android 1.5) and while it was nice at the time, I can tell you that the Hero does not do much more than stock 2.1 now. I know there are updates but they look quite cosmetic to me - Helicopter view, friend stream...

I can live without it.

14. svet-am

svet-am New Member

the only thing I would want are some of the new/updated widgets like the clock/weather widget. other than that, I like the stock 2.1 ROM

15. greggds

greggds Well-Known Member

The more videos I see of the N1, the more I think it's the device for me. To those that have experience with both the Sense UI and the stock 2.1, am I off base to think that Sense sometimes is more "window-dressing" so to speak, and adds an extra step in getting to apps? Or, does it add a practical element?

I am coming from a Storm (on VZW), so anything will definitely be an upgrade. My decision basically is between the stock 2.1 and the N1 or the rumored Incredible with Sense.

Thanks in advance for your input!

16. grainysand

Some of it is practical. Some of it is clunky. The pinch-zoom that lets you view all seven homescreens at once is definitely a nice touch.

Why choose? Get an N1, root it, and you can have Sense. Or not, as you will. Although technically you can disable Sense on a stock HTC phone too, but there's no guarantee the Incredible (isn't it just the Desire anyway?) will be rootable, which is a huge point against it.

greggds likes this.
  17. SLVR

SLVR Well-Known Member

No I had a hero. I dont really care much for sense. It really doesnt matter to me tbh.

18. cortez.i

cortez.i Active Member

i like the Sense UI features, particularly the native Exchange integration with email, calendar and contacts. no need to install email, calendar, contacts or clock widgets. i also like the ability to zoom in/out on HTML emails, something you can't do with the stock GMail and Email apps (or, something i never figured out how to do). another email feature i like better with Sense is the ability to quickly switch between timeline and threaded view.

what i don't like is the SMS and contacts apps; pushing the standard Android Contacts and Mms apk's and then selecting them as defaults took care of that issue. i'd like to replace the Sense dialer as well, but doing so means i give up the ability to search contacts via name or number.

bottom line for me is that Sense UI has the native, fully integrated features/functionality that's important for my daily use.

greggds likes this.
  19. 24bear

24bear Member

The feature I want from the Desire ROM is the 800 x 480 video capture. I always found it weird to have a slight black bar on the sides when viewing my videos on YouTube.

20. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Having used Sense on my Hero for about 5 months before using the Nexus (which is now rooted anyway for additional functionality....and the pretty trackball colours of course!), I prefer the clean look of 2.1 to Sense.

Sense has a few nice features like the widgets but I found myself removing them and using the standard buttons for things like messaging, etc.

I may try Sense again when it becomes more of a stable / complete ROM but suspect I will switch back again (especially if Cyanogen gets Flash to work on a future interation of his ROM).

21. RellikZephyr

RellikZephyr Well-Known Member

i think i will play with the Desire ROM

but i doubt i will keep it

RellikZephyr

22. Vannesa

Vannesa New Member

I prefer the way Android 2.1 was meant to run

23. WayneS

WayneS Active Member

I choose option 3.

I would like it to be available on the Nexus One. This way I can play around with it and/or switch back and forth from stock to Sense. I like Android 2.1 a lot. But I also like some of the features in Sense, but I have never experienced it first hand.

24. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Cyanogen has stated before that Flash in Sense UI is too tightly integrated into other Sense components to duplicate. This was back with the Hero/Sense, but I doubt much has changed in that regard, so don't hold your breath for Cyanogen to release this functionality. Instead, hold your breath for Adobe to finally getting around to releasing 10.1 *sometime* this year.

I just installed it yesterday to finally see what all the fuss was about. It's definitely pretty, and I can see why some people would find it more useful. But I'm in the process of ditching it as I type this to go back to Cyanogen.

As mentioned several times in this thread, you already have this option with a rooted phone. Download the Desire ROM and give it a try!

25. rori

rori Well-Known Member

Agree, dont care that much about sence, like keeping my screen clean..but do care a lot about Flash :cool: