• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sense UI questions

da man

May 11, 2010
I have been investigating what new phone to get and like the 3vo, but not everything. I like the new version of Sense, but dont like all the fancy eye candy such as thie weird scroll thing that it does when scrolling fast, or other animations. They seem to slow the phone down compared to other comparable sprint phones (nexus and photon). Can those be turned off in the sense settings to hopefully make the os seem a little more snappy?

Thanks!

If you root it then yes, if you keep it stock you can use a different launcher (Launcherpro, ADW etc...) but you will have to use the lock screen, unless you use an app to disable it or an app to use a different lock screen

I have been investigating what new phone to get and like the 3vo, but not everything. I like the new version of Sense, but dont like all the fancy eye candy such as thie weird scroll thing that it does when scrolling fast, or other animations. They seem to slow the phone down compared to other comparable sprint phones (nexus and photon). Can those be turned off in the sense settings to hopefully make the os seem a little more snappy?

Thanks!

Reactions: da man
Upvote 0

Thanks!

If you root your phone and install a different ROM (AOSP based), you can get the phone without SENSE. Without rooting, I am not aware of a way to disable SENSE on the EVO 3D

Personally, if I didn't want SENSE, I might have just considered the Photon - I say "might" because in my opinion, HTC products are better made/supported than Motorola products... but again, that is my opinion.
I like many of the features that SENSE brings.

Reactions: da man
Upvote 0
Wow! You guys are fast!

So if I use another home replacement such as launcher pro, does that mean that sense is no longer running in the background slowing it down? Also, that would mean no more using htc widgets right? Which is sad because the Sense widgets are my favorite aspect of sense.

Upvote 0
I run Go Launcher and any time i relaunch sense, it has to load back up the same way it does when I start the phone, so my guess is that it is not running in the background. Launchers allow you to customize your device in lots of ways. Check out the "let us peek at your screen" thread. Also for much more check out the same thread in the EVO 4G forum.

Some HTC functions are still supported, but in Go Launcher you really can't use too many HTC widgets. With Go weather you can still access HTC alarm clock stuff.

Upvote 0
Fast answer yes if you make LP default, you can use Homeswitcher from the market to choose your default, or do it from the app itself once launched

Wow! You guys are fast!

So if I use another home replacement such as launcher pro, does that mean that sense is no longer running in the background slowing it down? Also, that would mean no more using htc widgets right? Which is sad because the Sense widgets are my favorite aspect of sense.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones