Sensor on top left of Hero?

Last Updated:

1. Ashman

Ashman Member This Topic's Starter

I bought a UK HTC Hero around a month ago and on taking it out the box I noticed something on the top left of the screen that looked a little like a sensor. On official photos of the Hero you cant see this sensor or whatever it is. I took a photo of my Hero with the aforementioned sensor marked out. Sorry about the rubbish picture quality (a photogropher I am not :D)

[​IMG]

My question is, is this a sensor? If not does anyone know what it is exactly? At first I thought it was an air bubble or something since I put a screen protector on the phone the day I got it but on closer inspection I doubt it.

Ashman

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Ambient light senser.

3. JoeC

JoeC Well-Known Member

On my HTC Hero, the ambient light sensor is on the left part of the ear speaker. It looks like it should be a light like it is on the right part of that strip, but, alas, it's the sensor.

Perhaps your model is different?

4. Ashman

Im pretty sure I have the light sensor on the left hand side of the ear speaker as well, it looks just like an LED. This might be something else then?

5. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Your right I did not look at the photo.
    The only thing I've seen in the left of the screen has been the ocational notification logo.

6. Ashman

I was thinking it could even be a front camera? :eek:

7. PaulC

PaulC Active Member

Looks like a fault in the plastic or black film behind it.

8. Ashman

You probably cant see it in the picture but its a perfect circle in shape and looks like it was purposefully put there.

9. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

My Hero definitely has nothing in that spot. I examined it very closely with a flashlight and all. 100% definitely nothing there on mine.

I'm pretty sure you've got an air bubble, either under your screen protector or perhaps even under the glass. Other possibility is that the coloring chipped off underneath. It could even be a crack in the glass. It's tough to tell from the picture.

Try shining a flashlight on that spot while taking a photo of it to give us a better view?

10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

dont see anything on mine there either, btw nice case, same as the one I have :)

11. Ashman

Unfortunately u can't take a better picture, atleast not at night. I just thought thwarting someone else might have this as well. I'll just assume it to be a air bubble or something. Was hoping it was a sensor or something cool that only my hero had? :)

12. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

Maybe you got some super secret, super rare version with a front facing VGA cam for video calling, lol.

13. smithey253

smithey253 Member

That photo looks exactly like my phone sitting next to me, minus the new sensor.

Good choice of colour and case I think :D

14. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

Strange... I just bought mine last week, I have no such sensor on mine.

15. Ashman

I guess I'm just special :)

16. zzr600

zzr600 New Member

Does it have a screen protector on it? if so it looks like a bubble caused by a bit of dust.

17. Ashman

Yeah I pu a screen protector on it he day I go the phone so guessing its just an air bubble then :(

18. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

What a farce !!

19. Ashman

Im just submitting to the fact that most people think its an air bubble, personally I still think its something else (Manufacturing defect?), At first I thought it to be a sensor that might have been added to the latest batch of HTC Hero phones as I had just received my phone recently but after the feedback from this thread I doubt this now.

I posted thinking that if this was a new sensor addition to the Hero someone else would be able to confirm this for me. The only way for me to check for sure is to take the protective screen off but Id rather not do that since I dont have a spare. The photo shown above doesnt really show up well especially as it was taken in the evening. I just havent had much time during the week to take a photo in the day time due to work/other things.

Ashman

20. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

Either a bubble under the screen protector, or a bubble caused by air seepage during the manufacture. Have you tried re-applying the screen protector? If so take it back and get an exchange if it is new.

Ben