• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sent it back - now got Desire!!

adybaby

Apr 10, 2010
Too many issues - phone returned - HTC desire now which is a cracker!!
Battery life
No multitouch/pinch zoom
Android 1.6
Cant delete emails in bulk
Cant send contacts without an app
Cant delete items in timescape in bulk
Playnow disabled by network, so cant use it
Music organizer not as good as others
Some other annoyances

Battery Life - The more you use it, the better it gets. I now get 2 days out of it, and I use the phone quite a lot, for games, music, web browsing.

Multi-Touch/Pinch Zoom - I personally don't see it as a necessity, good to have though.

Android 1.6 - Yeah, but it has lots of 2.X features,like Voice to search, etc. other than Live Wallpapers and more home screens, I dont see any difference in both versions. Then again, 2.1 is faster than 1.6. so maybe thats a plus.

cant delete email in bulk - yeah, that sucks.

cant send contacts without an app - I dont understand, just go into a contact, hit the menu button, and select send business card and it will send the contact via bluetooth, this is what I do, or do you mean something else?

cant delete items in timescape in bulk - yeah.

Playnow - works for me, but I disabled it manually, because it sucks, I dont know why you made this point as a negative.

Music Organiser - I personally love it, which one do you prefer?

I'm impressed with X10, it is the best looking phone on the market, also after using the HD2, I cant use any phone that its screen is less than 4". All what the X10 needs is software updates to fix little bugs, and add more features and optimization. other than that, the phone is good. enjoy your Desire, I find the Desire very ugly. I just cant stand it.

Upvote 0
Battery life - my best mate has the desire and it's about the same

No multitouch/pinch zoom - rumored to be in next update but peolpe who got this phone knew there wasn't any anyway and if its in the update, it's a plus.

Android 1.6 - rumored september

Cant delete emails in bulk - you can delete emails in bulk well I use googlemail and its fine

Cant send contacts without an app - have not had a need to so i don't know about this one

Cant delete items in timescape in bulk - why would you need too? Isn't the whole pointof timescape is to display updtes just like when your those websites? well for me it is

Playnow disabled by network, so cant use it - have never tried

Music organizer not as good as others - as in on the phone or a software on you pc? on the phone is one of the best for an android phone.

Some other annoyances- like what?

Upvote 0
I can't see too much wrong with it apart from battery life, no multitouch and android 1.6. Battery life seems to be a problem with most smart phones, multitouch I don't find much of an issue and android 1.6 isn't that slow on a 1ghz processor and there's an update coming.
As for the rest just download some apps, I use meridian and mixzig for podcasts and music.

Upvote 0
Too many issues - phone returned - HTC desire now which is a cracker!!
Battery life
No multitouch/pinch zoom
Android 1.6
Cant delete emails in bulk
Cant send contacts without an app
Cant delete items in timescape in bulk
Playnow disabled by network, so cant use it
Music organizer not as good as others
Some other annoyances

Well if you prefer the Desire over the X10 then good but i look at it like this:

Battery life - Won't be any better on the Desire.

No multitouch/pinch zoom - Overated and not as neccessary on a 4" screen.

Android 1.6 - Which will be upgraded to a newer version.

Cant delete emails in bulk - Yes you can.

Cant send contacts without an app - Correct but this is likely a limitation of 1.6 so will be upgraded.

Cant delete items in timescape in bulk - No you can't (yet) but why would you want/need too.

Playnow disabled by network, so cant use it - And thats SE's fault?

Music organizer not as good as others - Works fine for me. And theres plenty of other applications you could just download.

Some other annoyances - Like?.

Most of the "problems" with the X10 are software related and will be fixed when we get a newer version of android.

However some things about the Desire that can't be updated:

Desire has a smaller screen that is pointless outdoors on a sunny day.

Desire has a poor camera.

Desire heats up alot.

Upvote 0
I agree, no matter what phone you purchase there is always going to be something that someone does not like about it, there are many manufactures and tons of phones so each one has it's own version. I myself love the X10 and am very happy with it, I hope that others that choose different phones are happy with theres but again no phone is perfect, And I find that the majority of the phones that people say are better are the ones that have the 2,1 OS on them. I agree that sony should have put 2.1 on it right away but with a little wait period they will have all the feedback they need to get the phone running right.

Upvote 0
The fact that the X10 is on 1.6 isn't really an issue for me right now. I think that 'problem' is overdone by most people. 2.1 has it's own bugs too.
I wish the phone had been released with a physical keyboard, but otherwise the phone is brilliant as is and will just get even better.

There's the X10 mini pro, lol...although it's itsy bitsy and chubby wubby!

Upvote 0
Other than more colours from the screen, I still don't know what benefits 2.1 has over 1.6! Can't see the feature difference from 1.5 (Hero) to 1.6 (X10) either!

What 2.1 has over 1.6:
  • Optimized hardware speed
  • Support for more screen sizes and resolutions (16M)
  • Revamped UI
  • New browser UI and HTML5 support
  • New contact lists
  • Better white/black ratio for backgrounds
  • Improved Google Maps 3.1.2
  • Microsoft Exchange support
  • Built in flash support for Camera
  • Digital Zoom
  • MotionEvent class enhanced to track multi-touch events
  • Improved virtual keyboard (still needs improvement)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 (still no smart dialing though)
  • Live Wallpapers
I can't really compare 1.6 to 2.1 since my Nexus is my first Android phone.

But it does seem that they did improve 1.6 with 2.1, just alot of the improvements are not noticable. I'd think all Android phones (1.5,1.6,2.1) all have flash support and digital zoom.

Upvote 0
The 1.6 vs 2.1 argument isn't valid when u discuss the X10. It has most of the features Rose just listed because 1.6 was tweaked by Sony for this phone. this phone speaks for itself. X10 is running 800+x480 so its running the higher resolution. custom camera interface with zoom. There is the programs moxier that sync exchange. Custom ui.Its very fast..ect. 2.1 will come out in september, but I won't miss it in the meantime.

Upvote 0
What 2.1 has over 1.6:
  • Optimized hardware speed
  • Support for more screen sizes and resolutions (16M)
  • Revamped UI
  • New browser UI and HTML5 support
  • New contact lists
  • Better white/black ratio for backgrounds
  • Improved Google Maps 3.1.2
  • Microsoft Exchange support
  • Built in flash support for Camera
  • Digital Zoom
  • MotionEvent class enhanced to track multi-touch events
  • Improved virtual keyboard (still needs improvement)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 (still no smart dialing though)
  • Live Wallpapers
I can't really compare 1.6 to 2.1 since my Nexus is my first Android phone.

But it does seem that they did improve 1.6 with 2.1, just alot of the improvements are not noticable. I'd think all Android phones (1.5,1.6,2.1) all have flash support and digital zoom.

Mmmmm..... not much for the extra 0.5 then! :D

Upvote 0
The 1.6 vs 2.1 argument isn't valid when u discuss the X10. It has most of the features Rose just listed because 1.6 was tweaked by Sony for this phone. this phone speaks for itself. X10 is running 800+x480 so its running the higher resolution. custom camera interface with zoom. There is the programs moxier that sync exchange. Custom ui.Its very fast..ect. 2.1 will come out in september, but I won't miss it in the meantime.

Lol yeah thought it was strange when I read the comparison since I thought X10 had most of the features from the specs I've read. Still need to go to the Rogers store to check it out.

Upvote 0
Lol yeah thought it was strange when I read the comparison since I thought X10 had most of the features from the specs I've read. Still need to go to the Rogers store to check it out.

Let us know what you think of it.

The 2.1 specs you mentioned have Google Maps 3.1.2, but you can download Google Maps 4 from the Market, or it comes with the phone.

What you don't have on 1.6 is the Live Wallpaper, and some Applications like Google Earth that only support 2.1.

If you already have a Nexus One then I wouldn't recommend the X10 since they are both 1ghz at least 800x480 resolution phones, you aren't gaining much. (loosing the trackball) You might be used to it already. I don't blame adybaby for getting a Desire, as it is also a good phone (n1 with sense UI :)).

Upvote 0
My girlfriend has a Desire, and its battery seems to run out quicker than my X10's.

I'm not bothered about most of the 'big' stuff in the Android 2.1 update. However, 2.1 does let you forward a contact by SMS, which 1.6, stupidly, doesn't. As far as I'm concerned, it's the little things like this that make the difference - 1.6 is missing a few simple features that make using the phone (and after all, these things are primarily phones) a little clunky. I'm far more bothered by these than I am by my lack of live wallpapers and HD video.

However, when it comes down to comparing my X10 to my GFs Desire, I prefer my phone by a long way: it looks better, it lasts longer, it has a better camera, I can see the screen when I'm outside, etc etc. My GFs Desire can forward contacts, it has a nice UI and it rings louder - all nice to have, but not enough to make up for it's weaknesses against the X10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones