• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Separate app from market

This is a trick that has worked for me...

Go ahead and click "update" from the market, and as soon as you get the "downloading" progress bar, hit "cancel." Your old version will still be there, and your market link will be broken for good. Just to be safe, have your old (desired) version backed up in case this goes wrong. This is obviously an unintended consequence of canceling an update, but it does exactly what you want (or it has for me). Neall

Upvote 0
This is a trick that has worked for me...

Go ahead and click "update" from the market, and as soon as you get the "downloading" progress bar, hit "cancel." Your old version will still be there, and your market link will be broken for good. Just to be safe, have your old (desired) version backed up in case this goes wrong. This is obviously an unintended consequence of canceling an update, but it does exactly what you want (or it has for me). Neall

That doesn't last. It eventually re-associates.

Upvote 0
That doesn't last. It eventually re-associates.

I guess your mileage will vary. I "disassociated" K-9 mail this way, on the advice of an android developer, because recent K-9 versions don't properly support imap push for UW-imap servers. I did this with K-9 V2.403 back in February, and it's stayed this way for 10 months so far. I guess to those who want to break their link with the market, it's worth a try. If it doesn't work... no harm done :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones