Separate volumes for ring and notifications?General

Last Updated:

1. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to be an option for that anymore... and if you use a separate app (like Volumizer), the ring and notification volumes are synched.

I'd like to set them differently. We used to be able to do this, why did they remove that option? Or am I missing something obvious? (which is very possible).

Advertisement
  2. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

If you go into Settings>Sound>Volumes they are all there.

I agree that a short cut seems to have disappeared.

The N5 does also handle volumes intelligently. So if you are playing a game and want sound up/down it will lower the media volume and not ringtone or alarm.
    DMajor239 likes this.
  3. DMajor239

DMajor239 Well-Known Member

Some custom ROMs have that feature
  4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

This was a complaint of my last Nexus also. I think they should make separation of calls/notification standard stock.
  5. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

Yes they are all there, but if you lower the ring volume, the notification volume goes down also... they are not independent, and there's no option to make them so. :(

With addons like Volumizer, you can see all the separate volumes, but many of them are 'connected' so if you change one, you change others, which I find to be strange.
  6. regression

regression Well-Known Member

The ring and notification volumes were tied together a few versions of Android ago. Unless you are rooted, I don't think there is a way to separate them.
  7. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Well-Known Member

Not a big fan of this either. There are times when I want only the ringer on, but not notifications. My make shift solution for this is to assign no ringtone to notifications, but that isn't going to be useful if you want different volumes for each or still want to hear your notifications.
  8. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

I am rooted, running 4.4.2 with root, and Franco Kernel #26. Might have to find a ROM with more volume flexibility, although this is not a deal breaker, still love my N5 :p
  9. regression

regression Well-Known Member

I think I was using CyanogenMod when I saw the separate volume controls.
  10. sinkster

sinkster New Member

If you're rooted then use Xposed and the Gravity Box module(KK obviously), it has the option to expand the volume pop-up and unlink the notifications. I prefer a pretty much stock rom with Xposed mods over a full-blown aokp/cm rom.
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG]
    g01851 likes this.
  11. g01851

g01851 Well-Known Member

Thanks very much... looks like there are a lot more things you can do with this too.

Links for those who may be interested:

Xposed
    [FRAMEWORK ONLY!] Xposed - ROM modding without modifying APKs (2.4.1)(02.12.2013) - xda-developers

Gravity Box
    [APP][KK][XPOSED] GravityBox v2.8.6 - tweak box for Android 4.4 [30/12/2013] - xda-developers

Note: you have to install Xposed, set framework to function, then reboot. Similar deal with Gravity Box, just read through instructions and you'll be fine.

:smokingsomb::smokingsomb::smokingsomb:
    sinkster likes this.