• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Separate work and personal calendars, but not Exchange?

joegluntz

Lurker
Aug 26, 2009
I want to have a separate Personal and Work calendar on my Android phone, where they are truly separate - I don't want to see Work and Personal calendar items intermingled. Also, I don't currently have an Exchange server with which to sync my work calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible?

What I would love to do is have two separate Google calendars, one for Work and one for Personal, but which I can navigate to separately and not see their events intermingled. This doesn't seem possible - I can't find any way to hide or show events from certain calendars in the Calendar app - I can only completely remove a Calendar, which I don't want to do. Furthermore, I don't want to manually hide or show them - I want to be able to see the two calendars separately.

Then I wondered if I could just create another Google account and sync with that - but I don't see any way for the phone to use two Google accounts at the same time. I would have to use the web interface for that second account, and I would constantly have to sign in and sign out of my 2 Google accounts.

I know I can use TouchDown if I have an Exchange server, but I don't. My office doesn't have Exchange - I can only sync email via POP & IMAP, so as far as I can tell, I can't sync calendar info there. But I actually don't care to "sync" it - I just want to have a separate work calendar even if it's only on my phone. I've tried to find other Calendar apps but I haven't been able to.

Does anyone know if anything along these lines is possible?

I am going to give you details about my use that could give you what you are looking for.
You need:

I use google calendar sync at my work to sync my work events with my work@gmail.com account. Then I share calendar from work@gmail.com account with personal@gmail.com account.
On my personal@gmail.com account I have several calendars: personal, health, trips, social events, holidays.... and my work calendar (added from work@gmail.account).

Now on the android site, I have as my gmail account personal@gmail.com. If I use it now with provided calendar application I will have mixed my events and I should hide or show which calendars I want. I use this approach, for me it is enough to differenciate events with colors. I use Pure Calendar widget and it could be your solution.

To have a separate view of your work and personal calendars, you can have two instances of Pure Calendar widget and show/hide on each instances which calendars you want. You will have two calendar widgets, each one with its own configuration.

Hope this "solution" helps you ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks isma - I got a lot of good ideas from your post. For one, I didn't realize that you could show/hide your calendars in the My Calendars menu by checking and unchecking the boxes - I had tried and tried that before, and somehow it didn't work then but it works now. And I'm intrigued by the idea of using 2 pure calendars...thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks isma - I got a lot of good ideas from your post. For one, I didn't realize that you could show/hide your calendars in the My Calendars menu by checking and unchecking the boxes - I had tried and tried that before, and somehow it didn't work then but it works now. And I'm intrigued by the idea of using 2 pure calendars...thanks!

Pure calendar is already good at its current state, but nice features are going to be added on next versions.

I come from windows mobile, and calendar with pocket informant it is the feature that I miss the more. I hope pocket informant or other complete calendar applications come to the android side ;) Until then I make my best with google calendar and Pure Calendar widget :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones