September 2010 Swype beta on rooted Droid 2?

Last Updated:

1. tildaSparky

tildaSparky New Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone had any luck getting the new Swype beta to work on a rooted D2?

What I've tried:
    0. Downloaded Swype installer from email link
    1. Remove D2 installed Swype (1.64) w/ Root Explorer
    2. Run Swype Installer, log in, download, install
    3. Switch swype on, then select it as input

While this does let me bring up the Swype keyboard (MUCH prettier than the 1.64 version) it won't let me use it! If I try to press anything on the keyboard (even to just tap-type) the border of the keyboard flashes blue and nothing happens.

Also interesting: under Swype settings, the version is still listed as 1.64, but in the install information it is listed as 2.xx (can't remember the exact version).

As of right now I reinstalled D2 stock Swype (1.64) with apkInstaller and the old ugly Swype is working.

Not that it should make a difference, I'm using Epic 2.5 (and loving it).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

You're giving up access to the microphone in Swype by rolling back to the beta, right? That's a trade I wouldn't make...

There is a themed version of swype that looks extremely cool in the 928Droid Black Glass thread on Droid Life - he has a couple of final fixes to make - the editing keys are all black on black (you know, the cut/copy/paste keys in the editing keyboard) and the transparency on the pop-up word list is too transparent, but other than that it looks brilliant.

3. BigDaddyCool

BigDaddyCool Active Member

Did you reboot your phone after the uninstall? I know that I have had to do this in order to get Swype to register properly.

4. Redflea

5. tildaSparky

tildaSparky New Member This Topic's Starter

I retried multiple times and rebooted before trying to install it (after uninstalling). No dice. The prettiness factor is fixed now, but I would still like to use the new beta as the engine has been improved.

Thanks for the input guys.

6. Redflea

What's the beta version number...I'm in the beta, but stopped using it when I got my D2 w/swype pre-installed.