Serial communications

Last Updated:

1. deliveryguy

deliveryguy New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys -

I'm working with a microcontroller that is currently communicating with Windows XP via USB. I'm using putty to transfer data serially. I did have to install drivers from the hardware manufacturer to connect the device to a PC.

I was hoping I could use something like connectBot to communicate serially with the device using an Android phone, but I'm a little concerned because there aren't any drivers for Android.

I just need to send a stream of bits from the phone to the device... any idea whether or not this would be possible without the drivers?

Thank you for your time!

Advertisement
  2. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

If you find out, let me know.

3. deliveryguy

deliveryguy New Member This Topic's Starter

Bumping, haven't figured this out quite yet.

4. sic0048

sic0048 Well-Known Member

1) Use a VNC client to log into the XP machine and run Putty from there.

2) Perhaps some serial to IP converter would work. I'm not sure if they require drivers to connect or not.

5. trimotion999

trimotion999 New Member

Has anyone found a good solution for this? I have a microcontroller exchanging ascii data with a PC using VB6. I would like to use an android tablet instead of a Windows PC.

6. idavis

idavis Active Member

Doesn't bluetooth have a serial connection? Maybe look into using bt as the connection.

7. JamTheMan

JamTheMan Well-Known Member

#6 Yeah... Doing it over BT is definitely a way to go.

To do it over USB would require for the different devices to have a USB port that can act as a host, which do not have - not stock anyway. It can be fixed by rooting the device and sometimes you'd even have to do some tricks inside the Android kernel to get it done. So if it is an app meant for distribution, that is not the way to go...

But using BT should be rather simple - off cause requiring you to get the serial signal transferred via BT in the first place. Depending on budget etc. you could e.g. do that with an Arduino...