Serious battery-draining Flickr issue after 2.1 updateSupport

Last Updated:

1. Zbig

Zbig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi

I attach an exact copy of the message I've posted to the HTC support, describing my findings regarding what seems to me a critical bug in the 2.1 Hero software functionality. Please share you observations on that matter.

Hi

Flickr account syncing is seriously broken after official Android 2.1 update on HTC Hero, CRITICALLY AFFECTING BATTERY LIFE.

By default, after initial phone setup and after every restart, Flickr account won't sync automatically, despite all the relevant option being enabled:
    - Background data (under "Accounts & sync")
    - Auto-sync (under "Accounts & sync")
    - Sync contacts (under "Accounts & sync / Flickr")
    - Update schedule (under "Accounts & sync / Flickr / Account settings") - two hours and one hour tested

Even with all these settings enabled (which are default), Flickr account WON'T SYNC automatically and no notifications about contacts' new photos will appear. This is reflected by the timestamp below "Flickr / Sync contacts" which won't ever update.

HOWEVER, after clicking "Accounts & sync / Flickr / Sync now", the account will actually sync, with timestamp being updated and new photos notifications being shown. From then on, Flickr begins to follow its automatic update schedule, but the BATTERY LIFE IS SEVERELY AFFECTED because the CALENDAR PROCESS ACQUIRES PERMANENT PARTIAL-WAKE LOCK. This can be confirmed by looking at the "Partial wake usage" under Spare Parts app or *#*#4636#*#* screen.

I have verified this behaviour thoroughly and it's consistent after several resets of the phone to the factory settings.

In my opinion, this is intolerable and has to be fixed ASAP.

FURTHERMORE, the timestamp under "Accounts & sync / Weather" seems not to update or update very seldom despite the fact the weather data seems to actually being updated.

Last issue:
    When the user places a shortcut to his or hers IMAP mail account, the icon is very "reluctant" to update the unread messages green dot. For example, when user receives an email, the green dot with the number of unread messages appears after scheduled sync. Then, when the user reads the message(s) using another IMAP client (PC, webmail) or deletes them, very seldom the number in green dot updates / disappears, even after many scheduled automatic updates passed.

Best regards
    Zbig

Advertisement
  2. ck4794

ck4794 Well-Known Member

well your battery life is simply because you have so much "crap" running on the phone. i can't help you with the flickr issue as i am not a flickr user but disabling alot of the autosync functions will help the battery a great deal. another consideration is service in your area, which i don't believe you mentioned in your post. if your phone is constantly searching for a signal, and then on top of that never successfully syncing, then yes your battery life will suffer greatly. i hope i have helped in some small way.

3. Zbig

Zbig Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know that by not syncing anything I'll get better battery life but that's not the solution. I got a smartphone partly to keep things synced ;) The fact is that Flickr synchronization in 2.1 is broken out of the box, at least in my case. I don't have any "crap" on my Hero, only few things I want and use and none of them is a cause of this issue. Permanent partial wake-lock 100% of the time is an obvious application bug (this way your phone won't "sleep").