Serious G1 ProblemsSupport

Last Updated:

1. sambennett

sambennett Member This Topic's Starter

Sep 24, 2009

This is my first post here and I reeeeally need some help. I was in Japan a couple of months ago and received an HTC Dream as a gift from my friend over there. He had previously used it on a Japanese network.

However, I think it is a different model to the usual one because it doesn't contain the T-Mobile logo anywhere on the device and the boot screen doesn't say T-Mobile either.

I don't know which provider he used it with in Japan but he told me it might be locked.

I am now back in New Zealand and I am trying to use it with a 2degrees SIM card. This SIM card does not have a data plan activated on it because the provider doesn't offer this service. I have tried to set up the phone many times and I get "There is a problem communicating with the Google servers" every time I enter in my gmail address and password.

Also I am receiving full signal but there is an R above the bars which makes me think it is roaming. I don't think the device is locked because I haven't been prompted to enter in a SIM unlock code but I purchased one anyway just in case.

I really need to get this phone activated ASAP and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

Surely there is a way to activate without using a data plan? If not is there a modified operating system that I can install to activate over Wi-Fi?

Thank you for any help you can give me

2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Try this TAG search post ....

Android Forums - Threads Tagged with activate with wifi