Support Serious G1 Problems

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sambennett, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sambennett

sambennett Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I reeeeally need some help. I was in Japan a couple of months ago and received an HTC Dream as a gift from my friend over there. He had previously used it on a Japanese network.

However, I think it is a different model to the usual one because it doesn't contain the T-Mobile logo anywhere on the device and the boot screen doesn't say T-Mobile either.

I don't know which provider he used it with in Japan but he told me it might be locked.

I am now back in New Zealand and I am trying to use it with a 2degrees SIM card. This SIM card does not have a data plan activated on it because the provider doesn't offer this service. I have tried to set up the phone many times and I get "There is a problem communicating with the Google servers" every time I enter in my gmail address and password.

Also I am receiving full signal but there is an R above the bars which makes me think it is roaming. I don't think the device is locked because I haven't been prompted to enter in a SIM unlock code but I purchased one anyway just in case.

I really need to get this phone activated ASAP and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

Surely there is a way to activate without using a data plan? If not is there a modified operating system that I can install to activate over Wi-Fi?

Thank you for any help you can give me

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member
    VIP Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Washington DC, USA

Try this TAG search post ....

Android Forums - Threads Tagged with activate with wifi

Tags: