Serious Gmail ProblemSupport

Last Updated:

1. jedidove

jedidove Member This Topic's Starter

I just started having this really weird and inconsistent gmail problem. It's really pissing me off right now and making me pull my hair out (figuratively....nearly literally).

If I click labels>all mail it should show ALL my mail, and as I scroll it should load more and more of it. This has stopped working. Instead it shows me the 5 most recent mails. I tried restarting, clearing cache, enabling wifi, toggling settings and syncs, etc. Nothing works. Then randomly, it starts working again. Then I scroll a little ways down and after 2 loads, the whole list automatically clears, and then reloads just the 5 most recent. Its going back and forth now with no way to control it. Sometimes it works for a few scrolls, sometimes it doesn't even give me that much.

This same behavior is occurring with gmail search results too. I'm wondering if its running out of some alloted cache space but my sd card has plenty of space as does my internal storage.

This is really killing me. I need to be able to access all my emails from the gmail app at any time. Especially since I use it as an online thumbdrive for files (send to self, archive, search for it later). I understand that other than the specified "synced" folders, that individual mails will have to be loaded on a case by case basis, but it won't even list them all for me.

Does anybody have any clue what's going on? Or do you at least understand what the issue is?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Have you tried clearing your cache for GMail (and, optionally, Search)?

Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> Menu softkey --> Filter --> All to show all the apps, including those that came with the OS, and then you should be able to find both GMail as well as Google Search....GMail has a clear cache button and Google Search has a clear data button....

This may not solve your problem - it sounds like it is having issues synchronizing something somewhere, and it may, in fact, e a connectivity issue....albeit a really weird one....

3. jedidove

Yea I have. At first I thought it worked after clearing a few times, but then I scrolled on the all mail label and it did that weird reload with only 5 thing. It's so inconsistent that I can't even say the many clears I did had ANY effect on the behavior.

4. jedidove

Oh and I forgot to mention another weird side effect. When I experience this weird only 5 most recent thing, when I hit back to go back to my inbox, only the 2-3 most recent emails are there.... I have to back out then relaunch it to see the full inbox.

Come to think of it, I think the inbox only displays the 4 past days in this situation until relaunched. I know it only syncs the past 4 days by default, but its supposed to list the entire thing.

Edit confirmed. The inbox will list only the "synced" articles in that situation. I played with the number of days to sync and got correlated results. In between each change of the days to sync, viewing all mail and backing out to the inbox left me with a supposedly empty inbox. After a minute or so, repeating the routine left the inbox only listing emails back as far as they are set to sync.

5. johnlgalt

H,,, could it be a third party app that is causing you to have issues? This may also be something that you look around for on the Motorola DROID forums - if you're the only person experiencing this issue, then I'd have to say it *has* to be something in your phone, whether an app or whether a setting....

6. jedidove

Yea, idk. Thought about that. The only app I could imagine would be Slidescreen Pro but I have a hard time believing that would. Cause an issue within gmail.

7. johnlgalt

Check out the MOTO forums and see if anyone else is reporting your issue - at least you'll be in good company and can get some official word (hopefully) as to a resolution.

8. jedidove

It seems that others users of the app I suspected are reporting similar issues. I'll try to resolve it through their support.

9. johnlgalt

Wow, a slidescreen app that is causing this? Definitely not a good thing....

At least you stuck by it and kept troubleshooting - and now you might be on to the solution....