Serious GPS issues

Last Updated:

1. topgunpix

topgunpix Member This Topic's Starter

During the recent snowstorm here in Virginia, I discovered this odd GPS directions problem. While trying to make it across the county, I put in my destination address, but was forced to change my route several times due to blocked roads and in one case, a bridge being out.

The navigation system would recalculate very quickly, but frequently sent me down dead-end streets, and then direct me to make a u-turn. It's like it never completely mapped the new route...only a general "direction". Not only was this a huge time-waster, in those conditions it was dangerous.

This seems to happen anytime you deviate from the Droid's navigation route. The re-routing never seems to be complete before it starts directing you. Maybe this is a city-vrs-country driving glitch?

Try this at home: Put in a destination, then drive an alternate route, ignoring the directions. Droid will send you down dead-ends and then make u-turns for no reason, plotting a path that cannot possibly get you to your target.

Please post your results.

Note: Luckily, I had a Garmin unit in my car, which seems like ancient technology when compared to Google maps, but the route it finds is always 100% complete end to end. Although, once while were driving to UNC Charlotte via a road-construction detour (Still a highway), the Garmin suddenly announced "Destination Unreachable" and refused to calculate any routes until we moved from the city limits to the city itself. This has got to be the dumbest error message I've ever seen in my life (and I've worked with Windows 3.1!).

Advertisement
  2. ejlax

ejlax Well-Known Member

I have tried this with my GPS and have NOT been able to duplicate the issue that you are describing.

3. Trapper31

Trapper31 Well-Known Member

Many, many people have had problems with the GPS similar to yours, myself included. The routing on the Google Navigation isn't quite there yet.

Remember that it is still in beta (and knowing Google, it probably will be for a couple of years :p), so I'm sure the kinks will get worked out. For now, in situations like the one you described above, I'd say don't rely on Google Nav as fool-proof and keep that Garmin around for any other life-and-death situations that may arise.

4. (G)

(G) Well-Known Member

In addition, I've found that the Google Maps aren't always very accurate. Twice the Nav wanted me to make a turn on to a street that wasn't there. Each of the street were cul-de-sacs that paralleled the route I was on, but didn't connect and never have (one being a few blocks from my house).

I'm a huge fan of my 4-year-old Garmin.

5. rondo777

rondo777 Well-Known Member

Ive had mine make me turn left across an over pass when getting off the freeway the wrong direction only to redirect me to uturn back accross the same overpass and arrive at my destination 100yds to the rt of where it origionally had me make the left. Very frustrating! I ended up having to sit thru 3 long lights to accomplish this. LOL

6. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

I've been very impressed with the nav. Never had the issue you have listed. I 'tested' it in an area where I was familar and many times decided to take a different route to see what would happen. Not only did it re-calculate the route quickly, it re-calculated the right route quickly.

7. JosephMeyer

JosephMeyer Member

Google maps will take you on a twenty mile goose chase that ends at the opposite end of the airport from the entrance. The guard at the gate said 2-3 people a day end up there courtesy of GPS, and I can't imagine that systems other than Google would be making that exact error. I reported it to Google twice over a month ago, as od today it is still goofy. I can only assume that people from outside the area have missed their flights, sounds like thousands of dollars in losses. I pointed that out to Google, it fell on deaf ears. I guess that sort of thing is trivial to a company with a VP for Climate Change and the environment!