1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Seriously considering deleting the Facebook App

Last Updated:

1. abourne

abourne Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am seriously considering deleting the Facebook (FB) App from my Android handset.

First off, I have a quick question:

I'm using the Sprint HTC Hero (CDMA) which has still not upgraded to Android 2.0, 2.1, or whatever the lastest update is.

I'm assuming we're all using the latest FB App, correct?

Android is great, and far superior to the iPhone / iPod Touch in my opinion when it comes to the operating system and multitasking. However, with one exception:

The Facebook Application

I have iPod Touch that I use on a WiFi Network at work. The FB App for the iPod Touch is great (I'll avoid listing all the things it does that the FB Android App lacks).

Here are some of the reasons why I'm considering removing/uninstalling the FB App from my Android:

* It uses a lot of resources and battery power
    (not sure if this is really "a lot" relatively speaking)

* I'm sick and tired of clicking on a link, status, inbox and it re-routing me to m.facebook.com through the browser

* I don't update often so the Widget isn't used for updates and there are other options to view Friends status updates.

* I have Facebook RSS Feed Updates in my RSS Reader.

* In many ways, I find touch.facebook.com far more useful and efficient than the Android FB App, especially when the FB App - annoyingly - sends me to m.facebook.com.RSS Feeds of status updates, unfortunately, is no longer available. However, those that had them still have them.

Given the above, I'm wondering if it makes sense to simplify things and simply remove the FB App from my Android Phone.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Feedback?

Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

Advertisement
  2. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

3. abourne

Battery Saving Techniques - If I leave it installed:

Let me change the topic - for a moment - to battery saving techniques.

Assuming I leave the App on, but don't use it often, I've gone into the settings and did the following:

Refresh Interval --> Never

Notifications --> Inactive

I assume this will save battery power as nothing will be happening so long as I'm not using the Facebook Icon App.

Question:

When I scroll to the screen on my widget (not my home screen widget, but one scroll to the left), it seems to update automatically with the latest status update.

Is this only happening when I scroll to that page?

If so, it seems that the actions of setting the refresh interval to "Never" and the Notifications to "Inactive" may simply be taking up space on my phone, but not using any memory resources (or battery power) so long as I'm not using it.

Correct?

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Checkout Bloo for facebook app

5. stevro63

stevro63 Member

on your web browser go to "touch.facebook.com" and create a shortcut on your home screen. Fastest and the best Facebook.
    [​IMG]

6. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

I solved this problem when I rooted my droid and I use my wifi tether and do my facebook stuff with my itouch. Way simpler for me to do it this way.

7. abourne

I wound up downloading and checking out bloo.

An okay App, with some limitations, but after checking it out, I decided to uninstall it.

Subsequently, I downloaded the Facebook App as well. I figured I really don't need this on my phone.

touch.facebook.com

is okay.

However, the Feed is not the most up-to-date, even with repeated refreshing within the browser.

I figure I'll live without following every up-to-the-minute FB update. I don't update my status that much anyway.

A Facebook User Quote worth sharing:

Facebook User Quote

Fortunately, I one of the lucky ones by still being able to access feed updates in my RSS Read (as discussed above).

8. TheBiles

Yes, because carrying around two devices and wasting the battery on one just to access the internet on the other just to have the very most up-to-the-second Facebook updates is so much simpler than just visiting the Touch (or regular site) on your Android device.

9. Frantic Ferret

Frantic Ferret Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with you. I've installed and deleted the app twice (wanted to see the upgrade). The touch site is the way to go.

10. hitdog042

hitdog042 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Android FB has a ways to go. I can't even upload pics 1/2 the time. Then again, my camera will never focus and is useless, so I guess that's a moot point.

11. midge37

midge37 Well-Known Member

I've tried using the touch site, but all the status updates appear to be out of sync?? Am I missing something?

12. craigrn16

craigrn16 Well-Known Member

Yea I do it that way. I like to send messages and recieve them. I like up to date news feed and a nice user intervace. You act like an itouch is that big to carry around. It easily fits in my pocket. It's not an ipad.

13. TheBiles

Yes, but you still have to carry around two devices and burn the battery of the Android device just to browse Facebook on the other device. But to each his own, I guess. Some people just have to have their ultra-up-to-date-down-to-the-second Facebook updates.

14. pwabbit

pwabbit Well-Known Member

I don't mess with the mobile sites for Facebook. Why not just go straight to the desktop version? Unless of course, the desktop version is unacceptable. I use the Steel browser or Dolphin browser and go straight to Welcome to Facebook | Facebook.

15. abourne

I just updated the Android 2.2

It has the Facebook App as standard and the Android Market prompted me for an update.

Question

Is it possible to Uninstall the Facebook App?

16. m165

m165 Well-Known Member

That is because you are not viewing the right feed. It's not very obvious at all, but I discovered it by a mistake!

To view the "up to the second" feed:

1. Goto touch.facebook.com
    2. Under the "Home" tab, there are 3 more tabs, one saying "News Feed". Click it.
    3. It will now say "Live Feed" and this will be showing up to the second status updates!

Really don't understand why Facebook don't make this obvious, or why they even have the "News Feed" version as it's useless!

17. blackvyper

blackvyper Well-Known Member

I know in the iClone world there is always an app for that but being the radical person that I am, I simply use the browser (Opera) and log onto FaceBook through there. I use both the 'touch' & full desktop version... I don't really need an app for that!