Service in CanadaGeneral

Last Updated:

1. CarGuy86

CarGuy86 New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys, and ladies as well, wondering if anyone knows and information at all on getting the US model to work in Canada. I know about the unlocking issues but will the 3G network from Rogers or Fido work with this device? Or will it just use the EDGE technology?

Thanks and hope to hear any comments,
    AJ

Advertisement
  2. CarGuy86

CarGuy86 New Member This Topic's Starter

anybody?

3. pigeon

pigeon New Member

i m having the same problem..g1 is unlocked..new sim card..i m just missing something in the setup..

anybody??

4. Blandroid

Blandroid New Member

Well you're supposed to activate your phone using your Google account.
    If you don't have one then you're prompted to create one.
    To do this you have to have access to the Edge network through your provider, and have to manually punch in the APN settings to get connected.
    Apparently these are the APN settings that should work:
    http://www.iday.ca/2008/11/android-google-g1-on-fido-data-edge.html
    Though I am also having problems.
    I put my SIM card in and the phone recognizes the cell-signal, but when I punch in the APN it does not find the EDGE, I put my SIM back into my other phone and double checked that the EDGE on my account was fine, which it was, I just can't seem to get it working on the G1.
    I've heard that older SIM cards may not work, but mine is only a year old.
    If anybody has successfully set theirs up on Fido, could you please post the APN settings that you used?

UPDATE:
    I was able to activate it using my putting in my brother's Rogers SIM card and using the following APN settings:

Name: Rogers
    APN: internet.com
    Username: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 72

I suppose you can use whichever sort of SIM card with Edge activated to punch in the Google account info, and then once you've made it to the home screen you can turn the phone off and put in your Fido card and it'll work.