Service?

Last Updated:

1. nbilyk

nbilyk New Member This Topic's Starter

I just ordered my first cell phone EVER! An unlocked Nexus One HTC.

I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin.
    Here's my plan. I'm cheap. Very cheap. I don't want to actually get a voice plan, I just want to get a data only service, and use it for tethering and VoiP. I already have a VoiP plan I use on my home phone, so I was thinking I'd use sipdroid.

As for service, any recommendations? I want the least jack-assy carrier with the best value data only plan. So far it seems T-Mobile is in the lead with 40$/mo unlimited. I doubt I'd ever break 10Gb/mo, so if anybody knows of anything better, I'd love to hear it.

Also, I'm guessing voip and tethering are both breaches of contracts with certain carriers. Any tips, suggestions on who to avoid if I'm planning on doing this, or any other sage advice?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

This is the Desire forum. Go here.

But incidentally, wouldn't it just be easier to get mobile broadband and a webcam?

3. nbilyk

nbilyk New Member This Topic's Starter

Well, shows how much I know... I thought HTC was the type of phone, I don't even know what HTC means.
    By mobile broadband and a webcam do you mean a card for my laptop or something?
    That wouldn't really be the same thing. Namely, my laptop doesn't fit in my pocket, and I would have to have it always on to receive calls.

4. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Check out '3'. They offer Skype on their phones, which is something other network providers don't. But do bear in mind, the Nexus One you mentioned doesn't have a camera that faces you, so video calling is a no go area.