set Desire to use 3G only not EDGE

Last Updated:

1. eske

eske Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

this is crazy but I have certain apps that will only work on 3G

it must be my network (O2 in Ireland) as this was the same with my last handset the samsung i8910

my question is whether it's possible to set the Desire to only use 3G (and not lock onto an "Edge only" reception)

I live close to 2 cell towers - one is EDGE only and it's slightly nearer and the signal is stronger - with the samsung I could tell it to only use 3G

I don't see anything like this on the Desire menu - anyone seen anything like this.

Advertisement
  2. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

I had the same ability to lock to 3g on my N900. The desire constantly flicks between whatever signal is available! Annoying and wastes the battery.

3. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

well you can go to phone information:
    pressing *#*#4636#*#*
    and then go to phone information and scroll down to Set prefered network type:
    which i assume is WCDMA preferred selected open it and see what else it suggests:
    WCDMA preferred
    GSM only
    WCDMA only
    GSM auto (PRL)
    CDMA auto (PRL)
    CDMA only
    EvDo only
    GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
    unknown

so at least there is some choice try to expreriment with the or just google which of them would allow just 3G only.
    but you should be aware if you get to place where there is no 3G then you will have no signal.

eske likes this.
  4. Mikeleonhart

Mikeleonhart Member

The reason your phone will turn to EDGE from 3G is because the speed of high end EDGE is faster than low end 3G.

5. eske

eske Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

interesting - any idea why some apps just won't work on EDGE and seem to need 3G - I would have thought data is data

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Response timeouts in the software.

gie62001 likes this.
  7. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

hence why forcing 3g does help (in areas where you know its available). Around my town I know I get a 3g signal but the desire flicks off onto 2g quite regularly. I dont want this so forcing it to remain on 3g is ideal.

8. cs94njw

cs94njw New Member

I tried this, and it might have made a small difference, but the problem isn't solved. I still get intermittent connectivity.

9. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

there seems to be some consistency with desires having these problems on the xda forum. Maybe a f/w fix will help sort the problem. I dont think reception tho (3g and calling) is as strong as some phones. Alongside my n900 its at least 1/2 bars down and n900 maintains 3g. This doesn't.

10. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Just remember when comparing 2 different makes that they interpret signal/battery differently.

IIRC Nokia's indicator isnt linear. As in say 5 bars, 1 bar may not equal 20% signal.

The only true comparison is the test menus (or on Android the about phone menu under settings) and the signal strength and noise readings.

11. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but this sounds faintly like the intermittent internet issues described in another thread. I experience it with the standard browser becoming slow and irresponsive while switching between HSDPA and 3G.

For now, my workaround is to use Opera instead, where it doesn't seem to happen.

12. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but this sounds faintly like the intermittent internet issues described in another thread. I experience it with the standard browser becoming slow and irresponsive while switching between HSDPA and 3G.

For now, my workaround is to use Opera instead, where it doesn't seem to happen.