• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

set Desire to use 3G only not EDGE

eske

Apr 14, 2010
this is crazy but I have certain apps that will only work on 3G

it must be my network (O2 in Ireland) as this was the same with my last handset the samsung i8910

my question is whether it's possible to set the Desire to only use 3G (and not lock onto an "Edge only" reception)

I live close to 2 cell towers - one is EDGE only and it's slightly nearer and the signal is stronger - with the samsung I could tell it to only use 3G

I don't see anything like this on the Desire menu - anyone seen anything like this.

well you can go to phone information:
pressing *#*#4636#*#*
and then go to phone information and scroll down to Set prefered network type:
which i assume is WCDMA preferred selected open it and see what else it suggests:
WCDMA preferred
GSM only
WCDMA only
GSM auto (PRL)
CDMA auto (PRL)
CDMA only
EvDo only
GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)
unknown

so at least there is some choice try to expreriment with the or just google which of them would allow just 3G only.
but you should be aware if you get to place where there is no 3G then you will have no signal.

Reactions: eske
Upvote 0
Alongside my n900 its at least 1/2 bars down and n900 maintains 3g. This doesn't.
Just remember when comparing 2 different makes that they interpret signal/battery differently.

IIRC Nokia's indicator isnt linear. As in say 5 bars, 1 bar may not equal 20% signal.

The only true comparison is the test menus (or on Android the about phone menu under settings) and the signal strength and noise readings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones