Setcpu battery life (Root)

Last Updated:

1. the_ahmadzais

the_ahmadzais Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

do u guys have to have task killer to put the setcpu in ignore list or is it better to have no task killer and let android os do it itself? tell us what you guys think? to get more battery life.

i have systempanel full version and process manager full version.

Advertisement
  2. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

There is a huge debate as to the effectiveness of task killers. Many say they actually wear battery life down more. I only use mine when my phone really starts to get laggy. If you do have one, then yes, setCPU needs to be on the ignore list. However, not having a task killer will not hinder your battery at all, ESPECIALLY when you have setCPU. To save battery just set up profiles for running the CPU low when your screen is off and when the battery is at a certain level. If you need help with that, let me know :)

3. the_ahmadzais

Amtrombley0924 that be great if u could help me :) so u think should I keep the task killers or uninstall them? I dont mind having them and I wont care if I have them. What u suggest? Keep it or leave it? N do u have x10? Or droid or both lol

4. powerkiter

powerkiter Well-Known Member

No task killer and I have setcpu to run at around 20000 when screen is off and have it set for 50000 when the phone is running and suffer just a touch if lag when the phone starts up which to me is no biggie.

5. AMTrombley0924

AMTrombley0924 VIP Member VIP Member

Sure, I can help.

I would keep it but not use it, unless, like myself, the phone really starts to lag out. When you do use it, make sure the the task killer itself is NOT on the ignore list, in other words, it will be closed as well. Most of the arguments against them is that when they keep running, they use a lot of memory and battery.

The profiles for setCPU are like limiters or conditionals.If a certain condition is met, a profile will switch on and the app will slowdown your overclocking device. It depends on your phone, but when you open setCPU, hit menu>Device selection>Autodetect Speeds Recommended. This will how you what is a safe absolute max and min for your CPU and kernel. For my Droid it is 800 max and 125 min. For your X10 it may be different.
    I've heard many different people use different profiles for the setCPU, but this is what I use, and my battery is good for me.
    Main Profile: 800max and 250min, set to performance.
    Priority 90:Temp > 110F, 550max and 125min set to on demand
    Priority 80: Battery < 30%, 600max and 250min, set to performance
    PRiority 50: Screen off: 250max and 125min, set to performance

These profiles will give you performance when you're using the phone, and battery life when the phone screen is off. The 90 and 80 priorities are safety profiles in case the CPU temp gets too hot, it will throttle down a bit to let it cool. I've heard different temperatures as "too hot," but to me, 120 is time to slow down, therefore I set my profile to 10 degrees less.

Feel free to do your own research to make your own profiles, but these work for me and I'm sure will work for you. Any more questions, let me know! :)

6. powerkiter

I gave up setting it for this that and the other and just use the desktop widget to set it for minimum when screen is off and then when the screen is on it is set to the minimum and the max with screen on is half way.

If you just leave it as stock the cpu on the X10will run at 999999 hz. Strangle that down to half and the phone still works great for all but the most data intense apps.

7. the_ahmadzais

hey guys I found a x10 settings for setcpu and apply them still I dont get good battery liffe. Some1 in xda claim with wifi on he lost 8% in 8 hour. I dont know what should I do I got systempanel suppose to be best task killer and also process manager. I dont know if I should uninstall them?

8. powerkiter

Anything that monitors your systems activity will drain battery life so I would say ditch the lot.

Even setcpu will drain your battery as it needs to run continually.

9. the_ahmadzais

@powerkiter thanks alot for ur advice what are you currently using and what firmwire u using ? Im at fw 26

10. sean48

sean48 Member

ill be honest with you ive tried every single task killer and have checked battery life and ive realized the best solution is this: once every 2-3 hours open task manager and close all aps including the task manager. this way the program isnt in the bakground draining battery and at the same time u close other bakground apps as well