SetCPU causing phone problems?

Last Updated:

1. nightelvesreasy

nightelvesreasy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just bought SetCPU last night, and ever since installing it, I've had issues with sending and recieving txt messages, for example, I'll have 3-4 bars of 3G and the txt will either not send out, or if someone sends me a txt, I'll get about 3 all at once from them. Maybe its just how I have setcpu setup, I let the app decide best speed for my phone 900max 250 min, and I set it on interactive at first, then changed it to performance to see if that made a difference with txts. any thoughts?

LFY 1.6 ROM, stock kernel

Advertisement
  2. patch

patch Well-Known Member

You're not running a stock kernel.

The stock kernel for Froyo only allows a 800mhz overclock. What does it say when you go to: Home -> Settings -> About Phone -> Kernel version

I'd recommend going back to the stock kernel if possible and leaving at the default 600mhz clock speed to see if you still have problems. If this is not possible, try at least going to 600mhz on your custom kernel to see if helps stability.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I have a hard time thinking this is related to SetCPU. likely a coincidence as SetCPU does not interact with services like sms/mms.. I bet there are other changes you made that affected this behavior. this is more likely a ROM setting.

and Patch is right, if your at 900 your not on stock kernel

4. nightelvesreasy

ok, my bad, when i meant stock kernal, i meant the stock one that comes with LFY 1.6, and i believe the kernal that comes with it is set to 1000 MHz, so do you think changing the kernal would affect my sms/mms at all, or should I try a new ROM all together, I am loving liquid, but if thats the problem then ill switch back to bugless beast

5. Lock-N-Load

"so do you think changing the kernal would affect my sms/mms at all"

no, not 1 bit. I change speeds and kernels often and NEVER had this issue. As well, never read it from anyone else.

To me, this seems like (1) ROM issue (2) you changed settings or ROM changed settings in some way (3) you or ROM changed the messaging app and settings.

I do not believe this is SetCPU at all. AND, even with my 1-3 above, I have not read about messaging getting FUBAR'd up with ROMS but logically, it is more possible than with SetCPU.

BTW, when you changed ROMs... did you wipe cache and data? If so, I suspect your messaging settings are then gone and you need to check them.

6. Lock-N-Load

BTW, delete SetCPU and see what happens just for fun. You paid, you can always reload it.

also, try something like Handcent SMS.. SO much better than stock SMS app. Read up around here about it. everyone loves it. I have used it from day 1 and love it.

7. nightelvesreasy

after troubleshooting all day, ive come up with the conclusion it was network problems in my area, sending and recieving sms/mms just fine now, off topic, what should setCPU be set at for scaling, right now i have it on demand, but im still new to this app

8. Lock-N-Load

search here on SetCPU as there on some threads on peoples settings

also this

9. Scottmc

Scottmc Well-Known Member

Again, it depends on your usages. If you want your phone to be very snappy and responsive then I would go with OnDemand. That drains the most of your battery and works your cpu the most though so it really depends on your needs. You can play around with profiles too - like set it to run full bore when plugged into the charger. I personally have a couple of heat warnings in my profile. If my omap or battery temp go above 55 degrees centigrade then I get an audible warning and I drop down to 600Mhz Conservative.

Read up on SetCPU and what it can do for you. It's a very powerful tool.