SetCPU good idea?

Last Updated:

1. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So based on some recent findings by someone over at XDA, I have decided to go back to kings #6 kernel with Fresh rom. It is my understanding that this version did not have HAVS and therefore SetCPU would be a good thing to use to underclock a screen-off phone. Is this reasoning correct? The reason I mention HAVS is it seems that HAVS basically does the same thing as SetCPU so there is no reason to have both.

Also, here is the link if anyone is interested in checking out these kernel findings. Very interesting.

http://home.comcast.net/~ttechnology/index.html

^ definitely worth checking out.

Advertisement
  2. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

Yes, without HAVS it's a good idea, way better battery

mdizzle99 likes this.
  3. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

All of the king's bfs and cfs kernels have HAVs.

4. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

Set cpu is still good to have since you can set boot cpu usage if you want to underclock all the time, just dont use profiles, thats what havs are for

5. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Wow, those charts were very informative. And now I know why my screen off battery life is not as good on netarchy4.1.7 compared to netarchy 4.0.3.

It's a great sample of kernels tested, but I know there are some others out there that are just as popular. Hope they get added at some point.

6. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The guy who did those tests has already added a few kernels since taking that page public and says he will continue to add more. He has done some great work. If you appreciate his work feel free to send a donation his way.

7. tsipa

tsipa Well-Known Member

I like changing the governor using SetCPU as well.

8. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

I've seen in some cases when enabling and overclocking with some kernels that the phone won't be as fluid. For example when scrolling it would stutter or when I do speed test the download/upload pauses. Even though doing processor tests they yield higher scores. So to me setcpu is sometimes useful but sometimes it isn't.