SetCPU Governor Question

Last Updated:

1. growler13

growler13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so if I'm understanding the governor setting correctly OnDemand will bump up my cpu speed when necessary. I have it set at max 1000000 min 400000 but it says its running 400000, and on other options such as performance it says 1000000. Also what is the most common setting people have for min/max. Oh yeah I'm on Bekit's 1ghz lv kernel if that makes a difference

Advertisement
  2. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Ondemand is the most common AFAIK. It scales up according to the CPU load.

Performance is more aggressive, and more likely to be in the upper end of your max/min.

I am running the same setup as you (BBV1 w/ 1GHz kernel). I just use 1000/250 'ondemand'

3. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

Peoples' clock speeds are going to vary based on the slots on their kernal. for example mine is set to a minimum of 250mhz and max of 1200mhz. The optional clock speeds with this 7-slot 1.2ghz kernal are 250mhz, 500mhz, 600mhz, 900mhz, 1000mhz, 1100mhz, 1200mhz.

When you are in setCPU it will show your current clock speed up in the top left, and the upper and lower limits in the top right.

The different governor profiles determine how often the kernal polls the CPU for load% and the threshold of load% the CPU has to get to before increasing the clock speed. Ondemand with default settings is generally a good compromise.

4. growler13

growler13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok cool, thanks a lot. Just flashed the new bugless beast so i'm gonna redo all my setcpu settings

5. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Just got interested in this since Virtuous 3.2 unlocks all governors on the Incredible. As per the developer of SetCPU:

Basically, performance will always be at max speed (good way to kill your battery, but great for gaming benchmark results), powersave will always run at the min set (great for killing performance), ondemand is the standard way of scaling CPU as needed, while conservative is like ondemand, but leans more towards battery conservation.