SetCPU on LeeDroid

Last Updated:

1. cable_guy

cable_guy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

hi all,

I've just rooted, installed LeeDroid and then SetCPU. I just wondered if the SetCPU app will work by simply installing it and setting a profile for screen off.

Or whether I need to disable perflock from within SetCPU?

Many thanks.

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Overclock. Reboot. If it is no longer overclocked, you need to disable perf lock

cable_guy likes this.
  3. cable_guy

thanks. Overclock by simply sliding the slider up from 998400 then rebooting?

4. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Yep.

For me, SetCPU didn't actually underclock/overclock at all until I disabled perflock.

cable_guy likes this.
  5. cable_guy

I didn't think it would for me either, but I just took the opportunity to check the "set on boot" option, move the slider to one notch above 998Mhz, and rebooted, and the value remained at just over 1000Mhz on the slider, so I can only assume it's working!?

I have set my screen off profile to 200Mhz max and that as my only profile, do you think that should help to increase my battery life?

thanks.

6. SUroot

Absolutely.

I only use Set CPU to overclock when screen on and min/max 245 screen off.

You can set battery profiles, but since they interfere with performance, I don't see the point.

what you really want is that when the3 phone is sat idle, it isn't leaking power. Screen off profile helps with just that.

cable_guy likes this.
  7. cable_guy

thanks. I've got just that one screen off profile at present, I dont' want any other profiles. I am appalled with the battery life just lately. The only thing I can think of trying to disable is a live wallpaper I have which is snow constantly falling, but surely that should only use more juice when the screen is on!

8. SUroot

I don't know if android is still processing the animation when the screen is off or not. Download current widget, put it on your desktop and set it to update every 30 seconds.

It will write a log of the mA used at every interval. Compare screen off mA to Screen off - Live wallpaper mA

cable_guy likes this.
  9. cable_guy

what a great idea, thanks for that!

It seems I'm losing 4mA when the screen is off whether I'm using a plain or live wallpaper :confused:

10. InfernalByte

InfernalByte Well-Known Member

Batteries do discharge naturally over time, add to that what called resistance leakage where the battery is installed in a device but not being used and you'll have a better understanding of how much of an exact science these battery meters on our phones aren't!

cable_guy likes this.
  11. matttye

SetCPU remembers your configuration regardless of whether you disable perflock or not, but SetCPU didn't actually overclock/underclock my processor until I disabled perflock. It knew it was supposed to, even after booting, but the processor just ignored my settings. After disabling perflock it listened.

If LeeDroid doesn't already have it, I recommend installing a Kernel with the "smartass" governor. Definitely helps battery life.

My battery is at 71% after 7hrs 20m 17s off the charger, listened to music for half an hour on the bus this morning, checked the weather, my facebook and email a few times, sent about 10 text messages. Before SetCPU and smartass I would have been at 50% or less by now.

My display has apparently used 45% of the battery despite having only been on for 40 minutes so it's definitely a battery guzzler!

As an aside, I would use "Green Power" too if you don't use auto sync - disables WiFi/network when the screen goes off.

cable_guy likes this.
  12. SUroot

4mA is a really good score. You're not going to get any better than that. If its the same for both, it proves when the screen is off, all live wallpaper processing ceases

cable_guy likes this.
  13. cable_guy

how can I tell whether SetCPU is actually affecting my clock speed at all then? When I slid the slider to the right (overclock) the big display tells me the phone was using >1000Mhz so is that proof that it's working?

I don't know if LeeDroid has changed my kernel or not, but when I load SetCPU it does say smartass scaling....the problem with this piece of software in my eyes is that I can't tell whether it's actually doing the trick or not.

As far as battery life's concerned, I don't think it's helped me yet.

14. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

?
    if you move the slider to 1152 and the clock flicks between 245 and 1152 then its overclocked.
    smartass is a better governor but you wont see the benefits till you let the rom bed in for a day and youve calibrated the battery

cable_guy likes this.
  15. cable_guy

yes it does.

OK thanks I'll calibrate the battery and wipe battery stats in the recovery menu now and see how I get on.,

16. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

aye and dont keep randomly unlocking it and thumbing about just to check the battery every 10 mins.
    this drains battery :p i know as i used to do it all the time

cable_guy likes this.
  17. cable_guy

lol I know the feeling, and then the feeling after of being upset at how much has gone :(

18. cable_guy

OK recalibrated the battery but when I powered off to do the reconnect power, it was always green straight away, not sure if that matters or not. anyway cleared the battery data and i'll now leave my phone overnight maybe a sneaky game of Angry Birds before I go to sleep and see how it goes.

19. matttye

Yeah this.

The way I could tell it wasn't working was because I dragged the slider down so that my CPU should stay at less than 500mhz but it was still running at the full 1ghz at times.

cable_guy likes this.
  20. cable_guy

done all this now, can confirm the underclock process has worked but seeing no gains in battery life. Does anyone recommend I flash my radio to the latest version? I havn't upgraded it so assume it's still on the version that came with the phone 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2 ?

21. SUroot

I found 32.48 really good for me. If you didnt flash it separately, with Leedroid, you should still be on your original.

Check baseband in about phone.

It takes a while for underclocking battery savings to be noticed.

Personally, I feel only a screen off profile with min / max 245 is necessary. But thats me.

cable_guy likes this.
  22. InfernalByte

I flashed this 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27 and found much better data speed.

N.B. Flashing radio is a lot more risky than flashing ROM's!

23. cable_guy

cheers mate. Would prefer better battery life but may try it anyway. Is there anything I can do to safeguard myself better over making sure i've got a full battery when flashing?

24. InfernalByte

Be polite, never eat yellow snow. Don't drop your phone.... err that's it!

cable_guy likes this.
  25. SUroot

cable_guy likes this.