• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SetCPU question

sorry, I guess I am totally missing something here. someone has and someone did root FRG22D... P3 did.. so not sure how that does not get you what you want?

its a little different. Providing a rooted rom is different than finding a root method for a stock build thats already on the phone. Somniferum and patch dont want to use roms at all. I know that some users of stock rooted ese81 roms couldnt use the OTA cause a bunch of apps werent there. Stuff like facebook and visual voicemail. I helped 1 user hunt down a bunch of missing apps.

On a different note you can root completely stock FRG22 with the droid 2 root method. Its pretty easy assuming you have adb setup. Whiterabbit stated in another thread that its a adb hack though so its not something that will translate into a 1 click app. Maybe the makers of those apps will find a way to make it work but who knows

Upvote 0
Thanks for info and links OMJ! Reading up now also :) I'm assuming that we probally don't have the 2.0.1 recovery since the OTA updates typically also include a new recovery?

I would actually like to look into the adb method also, especially if that method might work FRG22D.

The adb method works well I have actually done it twice now. If you dont delete su and superuser.apk before the update all you would have to do is run rageagainstthecage-arm.bin then adb devices, adb shell and then chmod su to the correct permissions and you would have root back. Rootzwiki has quality instructions

Droid 2

Upvote 0
patch and somniferum not sure if you guys are interested in this but there is a pretty simple option for updating to FRG22D without losing root. The only hitch is you have to change your recovery although not to a custom one. You just have to change back to the 2.0.1 recovery. I pulled I copy of the recovery from FRG22D (pretty sure its the same as FRG01B) last night and could host it up so you could flash back to it if you want.

Details on the method are here
Android - whiterabbit.org

and here
http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/141610-stock-rooted-2-2-froyo.html

whiterabbit has a similar philosophy on rooting to you guys he has just stuck with the 2.0.1 recovery cause its easier to update and keep root

I'm trying whiterabbit's method but I'm running into an issue. I downloaded that recovery.img file to the root of my sdcard, and from the terminal (connectbot) I typed the following commands:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

To which I get this:

flash_image: not found

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Upvote 0
I'm trying whiterabbit's method but I'm running into an issue. I downloaded that recovery.img file to the root of my sdcard, and from the terminal (connectbot) I typed the following commands:

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

To which I get this:

flash_image: not found

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

you dont have flash_image installed. Check the guide to all things root related sticky has instructions for installing it.

Reactions: Somniferum
Upvote 0
Awesome, that worked! I'm now running FRG22D stock with root! And to answer my own question from earlier, I'm still able to overclock up to 800Mhz on the stock kernel. :D

I would definitely recommend this method to anyone who wants to stay stock. Just don't forget to install flash_image first. :rolleyes:

Thanks again OMJ for the info. When you get a chance, would you mind hosting up the recovery from FRG22D so I can flash back? ;)

Upvote 0
Awesome, that worked! I'm now running FRG22D stock with root! And to answer my own question from earlier, I'm still able to overclock up to 800Mhz on the stock kernel. :D

I would definitely recommend this method to anyone who wants to stay stock. Just don't forget to install flash_image first. :rolleyes:

Thanks again OMJ for the info. When you get a chance, would you mind hosting up the recovery from FRG22D so I can flash back? ;)

it is odd to read someone say "stay stock" and then talk about "I'm now running FRG22D stock with root!" in the same sentence :cool:

Upvote 0
it is odd to read someone say "stay stock" and then talk about "I'm now running FRG22D stock with root!" in the same sentence :cool:

Well by "stock" I just mean stock firmware as opposed to custom ROMs/kernels/recovery. Although technically I guess it's not 100% stock since part of this process is to modify the update file to get root. But it's stock enough for me. :p

Upvote 0

http://db.tt/pgOMJF8

Reactions: Somniferum
Upvote 0

Hmm, I tried flashing back to the FR22 recovery using the same method as before, but I got tons of write errors (out of memory) and then at the end "error writing recovery: No space left on device." Is there something I missed?

<update>I tried flashing the other recovery again from 2.0.1, and now it's giving me the same string of write errors and the "error writing recovery: No space left on device." So at this point I guess my recovery is hosed ... can anyone help?

Upvote 0
Hmm, I tried flashing back to the FR22 recovery using the same method as before, but I got tons of write errors (out of memory) and then at the end "error writing recovery: No space left on device." Is there something I missed?

<update>I tried flashing the other recovery again from 2.0.1, and now it's giving me the same string of write errors and the "error writing recovery: No space left on device." So at this point I guess my recovery is hosed ... can anyone help?

its not hosed....just go back and forth flashing between them eventually 1 will take and then it will be fine flashing either after that.

Upvote 0
its not hosed....just go back and forth flashing between them eventually 1 will take and then it will be fine flashing either after that.

OK, I couldn't get that to work so I ended up downloading ROM Manager and flashing Clockwork Recovery. It took a couple of tries but finally it worked. But now I have a new problem.

When I boot into Clockwork Recovery, I get the following error:

E:Can't read MISC:
(No space left on device)

Not sure what the problem is here. Any ideas? Is it possible to flash an image onto the Misc partition? If so, does anyone have an image handy?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones