SetCPU widget?

Last Updated:

1. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I had the setCPU widget on my homescreen, and was noticing that when I wake my phone up, the screen comes on but it would take about 4 or 5 seconds for it to respond to any scrolling or touch input. At first I suspected it was my screen off profile being too low (480/245). But I then removed the widget and the problem seems to be solved for the most part. Can someone confirm that this is an issue or is it just a placebo?
    Oh, running PlainJaneT2 Stock 2.1 with OC and A2SD.

Advertisement
  2. surgeon0214

surgeon0214 Well-Known Member

I also had improved performance when removing the widget

3. jasonh

jasonh Well-Known Member

I was having lag issues too. Ditched SetCPU and went with ocwidget and all is well.

4. ppbb

ppbb Well-Known Member

setcpu works fine as long as you don't use the widget.

5. Skeletronix

Skeletronix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What is/are the differences between the 2, aside from the widget lag?

6. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

its well known among setcpu users that the live widget causes lag when waking the phone...... if Im not mistaking the dev has even said as much....... its recommended to just use the standard widget or none at all

the same holds true for ANY live widget you use........ they will all cause a certain amount of lag when waking the phone...... this is because when you wake the phone they have to immediatley update themselves..... they dont just pull numbers out of thin air (well technically they do)...... they have to contact the server or access the app and update their information to display for you

this is an even more pronounced lag with the setcpu widget because when you wake the screen the widget polls the app to get information.... but that information is in the process of changing because your clock speeds are changing when you wake the phone...... this means it has to wait to get the current info before it can give it to you...... this means that while the app is processing the change in clock speeds its also being pestered by a widget polling for information........ its like trying to change a diaper while the kid is taking a crap.....

Slugdoc likes this.
  7. jasonh

jasonh Well-Known Member

setcpu has all the profiles and stuff, ocwidget doesn't.

8. sdlucky7

sdlucky7 Member

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread... I've been using the SetCPU widget ever since OC, and the lag has been driving me nuts.

I'm happy to report that after deleting the widget from my home screen, the phone has been snappy (for now).

9. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

Beautiful.
    And such memories.

10. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

FreshRom or Sense-able, Launcherpro or Helix:
    Same problem, but it doesn't stop after 5 sec. Phone was unuseable until I removed the widget.