SetCPU without custom rom?

Last Updated:

1. trentmh

trentmh Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,
    I have a stock motorola droid running 2.1 and i'm not currently interested in running any custom roms. Can I simply run setcpu once I have root access?

Thank you,

Advertisement
  2. trentmh

I think I found the answer in that you can do this. Any issue with doing this though?

3. trav473

trav473 Well-Known Member

you can install it, but you won't be able to overclock. you will need to install a custom kernal. not sure you can do that with out a custom rom.

4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I don't believe a custom rom is needed to be able to utilize SetCPU. You can have a stock 2.1 rooted ROM installed and SetCPU should work. However, You will not be able to overclock unless you have a overclock kernal installed. But if you just want SetCPU to add profiles to adjust CPU speed for battery performance enhancements, you should be fine.

If you are going to stock, may I suggest you get the stock 2.2 ROM instead of 2.1.
    (I feel like a waiter).

http://androidforums.com/roms-droid/112138-rom-android-2-2-frf84b-clean-untouched-virgin.html

5. trentmh

I thought about going with Stock 2.2 but there appears to be little 'gotcha's such as possible Pandora audio quality, bluetooth, etc. I've read so much about how much faster 2.2 is so my intention is to allow the 2.2 OTA to update my phone when it becomes available and then see how it runs without a custom kernal and overclocked.

Which kernel do you recommend? Chevy? I don't want to get extreme, but maybe just get it back to the actual processor speed of 800mhz, maybe 1Ghz at some point but I would love to see how it reacts at 800Mhz.

6. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

If you don't want to get too crazy, the 800Mhz should be enough. My wife has BB 0.4 with the pre-loaded kernal...and it's plenty fast. But I'm a guy so I like things to go faster.