seting up gsm hero in america

Last Updated:

1. JacobJ

JacobJ Member This Topic's Starter

well im geting a hero unlocked/unbranded off of ebay. i didnt relieze what i was biding on till to late i thought it was the phone i saw on tmobile but i was wrong. what i have since read about the phone it seems like a great phone but what all issues will i have runing it on american t-mobile? what all am i gonna have to do to set it up? what all updates should i do and how do i get them?

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Don't quote me on this, but I believe all of the GSM Heroes are identical and are all compatible with the American GSM frequency. So it should still work even though it was sold in another country.

I would have thought then it should work straight off (apart from setting up MMS, internet and so on for your network, of course). But then I've never tried to use my phone in America so like I said, don't quote me on all of this :p

I'm sure somebody else here has had experience with this sort of thing.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I was considering getting a GSM Hero before Sprint announced they would be getting the CDMA Hero.

From the research that I had done (nearly a year ago) you'll be able to pop in your sim card and go.

4. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

I'm using a Russian (? I'm guessing since the manual looked russian) Hero I bought when i was in HK over in Canada and everything worked no problem. Just popped in a sim. It's on a pretty old radio too I think... 63.18.55.06EU_6.35.06.18. That was already on the phone when I bought it and since it has always worked, I never bothered to update it.

5. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

It might work but you won't get 3G if you're on TMobile. TMobile uses 1700/2100 bands, and the EU GSM Hero is 900/2100.

6. Drazil

Drazil Well-Known Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention that... I don't get 3G... but then again, I'm too cheap to get a data plan either, so I never noticed not having it.

Is there a radio flash that can be applied to activate it? or is it a hardware limitation. I thought the Hero had all the frequency bands.

7. JacobJ

ok im sticking w/ att. tmobile didnt want to work w/ us at all

so can i use 3g w/ att. is there anyway?
    i dont have a waranty so i guess ill try and root it. will that help w/ 3g?

8. JacobJ

oh and can i use the settings for my jack for my hero?

9. walkinhotdog

walkinhotdog Well-Known Member

Im using a hero on at&t. 3G doesnt work on it tho, but i only use wifi. Unless you have a Telus hero, 3G isnt going to work on tmobile or at&t. Rooting isnt going to make 3G work either

10. JacobJ

sorry ima noob but whats telus ?

11. nomnompie

nomnompie Well-Known Member

Telus is a wireless provider in Canada. They use the same 3G banding as AT&T does so their phones work on AT&T 3g.