Setting custom ringtones for 2.1?General

Last Updated:

1. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Am I forgetting something? I used chompSMS to set custom notifications for specific people texting and it works. I used Ringdroid to assign custom ringtones to people and all that comes through is the default when they call.

Advertisement
  2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I use Tone Picker (free in the market) to set custom tones for everything.

3. superchaos

Thanks OTD. While searching for the Tone Picker, I saw rings extended which used to be on my phone before 2.1. I installed it again and all is well.
    For those who do not know-
    You do not open it. Rings Extended sets another menu in your contacts and allows you to choose what ever sound file you have to the contact. You can have a different ringtone for every contact if you wanted.

4. maddog015

maddog015 Well-Known Member

I had problems with rings extended. Kept changing the ringer for contacts on ones that I had set. Thinking it was a fluke, I changed it to the one I wanted again. Then, it would randomly pick another one the next day. No good. Unless I'm using it wrong...I never ran it, so...

5. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

mabilo ringtone, by far one of my favorite apps

6. Miami211

Miami211 Well-Known Member

Shuffle tone allows you to create a random playlist for incoming calls that don't have an assigned ringtone...

7. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Gads, I have enough trouble wondering "is that my cell phone ringing or someone else's?" without having the ringtone change randomly...

8. J_slag

J_slag New Member

install handcent sms. go into the program and while in a conversation with someone you would like to have custom alerts for hit the little gear (setup icon) in the top right corner. when you do that you will see a menu appear. click notification settings. If you set a custom notification while in a convo with someone it will strictly apply to that contact. all others will follow the default parameters you have set externally. when in the notification settings you should see that contacts name and number in the upper left of the menu.

**I always wondered why they were called roofies, 'cause you're more likely to end up on the floor than the roof. They should call 'em floories....Or rapies**:eek:

9. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

I have this problem, too. never had to use any custom software in cupcake. Do I really want to bog down my phone any more with additional processes that will run all the time?

10. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

I have no aftermarket apps, and every one of my contacts has a different ringer. That is built in

11. superchaos

I wasn't able to find the option to assign my custom ringtones.

Attached Files:

12. maddog015

maddog015 Well-Known Member

You know, I've used the default picker and tone picker, both of which are not working for custom ringtones. I'm just getting the default ringtone for everyone. Is this a problem for anyone else at all? Forgot to mention, I'm using 2.1.

13. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

On the contact's info page.

14. semidone2

semidone2 New Member

I am having the same issue. It is very frustrating

15. htownjoz

htownjoz Member

i got my stock phone n got each contact wit their own ringtone, any way it can use the same ringtone for when they txt me n not have the lil clicks or pre installed files they use.

16. el viejo

el viejo Well-Known Member

Not a problem here. I also just use the stock 2.1 people app to select the contact and either choose to use the default ringtone or any other ringtone on my Eris.

17. redboy

redboy Member

It took me a few minutes to figure this out. You don't need any 3rd party software. After you have created a contact you can click on them in your contact list, then hit menu, then select options in lower left. It will prompt you for a custom ringtone and/or forwarding directly to voicemail (which i use for my exwife). :)

slinton0002 likes this.
  18. slinton0002

slinton0002 New Member

Thanks Redboy.. this helped a lot!

19. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

Just a note. The built in music player allows you to add files as ringtones. If you play the mp3 and hit menu, it has a button that says set as ringtone. Hitting that will add that sound to your default list of ringtones.

This does not however work for notifications.