• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting to disable GPS background scanning?

slimbobaggins

Aug 4, 2010
VA
So I finally installed Greenify last night to see what the buzz is all about. Haven't done the ADB permissions stuff yet, but set a couple thing anyways.

Checked my battery stats a couple times this morning, all was well, and then I noticed that Maps was the highest percentage consumer, although I haven't used Maps at all today. That's when I noticed it had had the GPS on multiple times since disconnecting from the charger, even though location is turned off, as are bluetooth and wifi scanning. It logged 2 hours and 38 minutes of GPS over the last 5 hours.

I didn't think there was a "background GPS" setting anywhere... am I missing one? For the time being, I went into App permissions and revoked it's location permission, although this is a temporary workaround. I haven't had this issue before, and besides installing Greenify last night, haven't changed any permissions or anything at all. I did use Maps last night to look up a location, but I turned Location on prior to using the app, and shut it off when I was done.

Just checked again and saw that the Maps app has logged over 4 hours of GPS usage today, despite the fact that I disabled the "Location" permission for it earlier. I'm about to rip my hair out. I just disabled it altogether, and I'll let it go for another few hours. I suppose there is a chance that the phone is lying to me, and it's another app scanning GPS in the background, not the Maps app.

I F*cking hate that Marshmallow allows stuff to scan in the background. I want my phone to do EXACTLY what I tell it to. If I want the bluetooth/wifi/GPS off, then it should be OFF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones