• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Setting up a new i9000

SlowRain

Oct 11, 2010
a Canadian expat in Taiwan
Hi everyone. I pick up my i9000 tomorrow night, so I was just wondering if there are any recommended procedures I should do first before I start using it.

What settings/changes do you recommend for new users?
What are some common mistakes new users make?
What advice do you wish a more advanced user would have given you when you were just starting out?

Thanks.

Buy Beautiful Widgets
Play around with all the buttons and get to know the phone
Download kies on your computer
Connect your phone to the computer and transfer music
Download a facebook app and then complain about it
Make sure you can view videos, listen to music, use the camera, make calls, sms, mms all those good things. You don't want to have the phone a month and then realise something is broken.

That is what I did yesterday.

Reactions: SlowRain
Upvote 0
KIES is useful... when it works.

But you will need it anyway. It contains the drivers necessary for connecting your phone to your computer. But given the choice, it's easier to take out the SD card and plug it into a card reader.

Not so sure about buying beautiful widgets. I had it for a while, then refunded it because it took up too much screen space. Do give the default Samsung widgets a try first. See if you like them.

Download a few apps just for fun, from both the Android Market and the Samsung Market (on your phone). A few great apps to get your started will be the ES File Manager, ES Task Manager, ES Security Manger, Angry Bird Beta, Falling Ball and jetVD. The last one will allow you to download HD videos from YouTube.

Customize your own ringtones and notifications. Learn how to use swype. There's a tutorial in settings.

There is a lot more than I can tell you, but I am feeling lazy, and it is more fun if you find them out yourself. :D

Just a word of warning at the end. If you are going to root, read. Read. Read.

Reactions: SlowRain
Upvote 0
Hi everyone. I pick up my i9000 tomorrow night, so I was just wondering if there are any recommended procedures I should do first before I start using it.

Thanks.

My continued ranting goes on:

Read up about the software issues (GPS/Lag/Wifi etc) with the SGS and make sure you're comfortable with them and decide whether you trust Samsung to fix them or not before you pick the phone up.

(I am in a bad mood about all of this today, aren't I! :) )

Upvote 0
My continued ranting goes on:

Read up about the software issues (GPS/Lag/Wifi etc) with the SGS and make sure you're comfortable with them and decide whether you trust Samsung to fix them or not before you pick the phone up.

(I am in a bad mood about all of this today, aren't I! :) )

Do note that some of us (like me) hasn't had any of the above issues at all. It's a little like playing Russian roulette I suppose.

Upvote 0
Yeah. I fully realize there will be devices that are pooched right from the factory. When researching what phone to buy, I discovered the GPS issue, the delayed Froyo release, the lag, etc. Over on XDA Developers the phone has an 85% positive rating, which helped sell me on it. The 15% dissatisfaction seemed to be either one-off instances or else extreme anal-retentiveness on the part of the owner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones