• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up aosp

continuation of my post 12-18-2010, 02:57 AM from this thread:
okie dokie. new knowledge. new questions.

so now that I have AOSP 9.9.2 more or less the way I like it (still haven't conquered that Dialer One doesn't work via the software phone button on the desketop, only the physcial phone button, but I haven't really made time to work these small potatos yet), i'm playing with going back to the stock 2.1 nandroid that I made at the very beginning (note: i did not use Titanium Backup then, only made made nandriod of stock 2.1, wiped, flashed AOSP/gapps, moved on with life):
now I...
1. used Titanium Backup => menu => batch => 'Backup all user apps + system data'
2. booted to recovery, made nandroid of AOSP
3. rebooted to AOSP
4. used ROM Manager => manage and restore backups => selected the OG nandroid
5. to my amazement, all of my apps and thier data were there (along with a warm nostalgic feeling ;) ). so a nandroid covers all that. titanium backup not needed for that.

so please help with this clarification: besides just using TB to backup stuff you don't want to loose, do you guys use it install apps on a newly installed ROM?

e.g. I intend on playing with CM6 after the holidays. can I use the backup that I made in step 1 above to install all my apps plus thier data? it seems so but...

I read on the TB wiki "Please note that if you backup and restore all system settings across very different ROMs, you are on your own." So in this scenario, I would just "restore missing apps with data" (which excludes the "+ all system data").

Have you observed problems with restoring system data across different ROMs? Or is this something to just totally avoid?

Upvote 0

so now that I have AOSP 9.9.2 more or less the way I like it (still haven't conquered that Dialer One doesn't work via the software phone button on the desketop, only the physcial phone button, but I haven't really made time to work these small potatos yet), i'm playing with going back to the stock 2.1 nandroid that I made at the very beginning (note: i did not use Titanium Backup then, only made made nandriod of stock 2.1, wiped, flashed AOSP/gapps, moved on with life):
now I...
1. used Titanium Backup => menu => batch => 'Backup all user apps + system data'
3. rebooted to AOSP
5. to my amazement, all of my apps and thier data were there (along with a warm nostalgic feeling ;) ). so a nandroid covers all that. titanium backup not needed for that.

so please help with this clarification: besides just using TB to backup stuff you don't want to loose, do you guys use it install apps on a newly installed ROM?

e.g. I intend on playing with CM6 after the holidays. can I use the backup that I made in step 1 above to install all my apps plus thier data? it seems so but...

I read on the TB wiki "Please note that if you backup and restore all system settings across very different ROMs, you are on your own." So in this scenario, I would just "restore missing apps with data" (which excludes the "+ all system data").

Have you observed problems with restoring system data across different ROMs? Or is this something to just totally avoid?

I have heard that you CAN restore between ROMs with mixed results. I have not personally tested it yet though, so I am interested in knowing about this as well.

Really, all I wanted to restore was a few settings for certain apps, like my POP3 email accounts. I was not 100% sure if that is even possible between ROMs though.

Reactions: paully
Upvote 0
TB is not needed to restoring a Nandroid as that Nandroid was made so you can restore your exactly as it was when backed up, as for if I have ever had any issues with restoring a Nandroid, yes I have but only because I had renamed it and done some back ups with the RM app and not from recovery, ever since I make all my back ups from recovery now I have not had one issue, Knock on Wood so far, lol. I myself use TB as a safety net for a backup only, but all my apps now are restored by Google once I flash a new ROM and have had no issues so far doing it that way, hope this answered some of your questions

now I...
3. rebooted to AOSP

Reactions: paully
Upvote 0
TB is not needed to restoring a Nandroid as that Nandroid was made so you can restore your exactly as it was when backed up, as for if I have ever had any issues with restoring a Nandroid, yes I have but only because I had renamed it and done some back ups with the RM app and not from recovery, ever since I make all my back ups from recovery now I have not had one issue, Knock on Wood so far, lol. I myself use TB as a safety net for a backup only, but all my apps now are restored by Google once I flash a new ROM and have had no issues so far doing it that way, hope this answered some of your questions

The restoring process is only with Froyo roms, if you would happen to flash to a 2.1 rom, you will need to either restore apps with TB or redownload in market;)

BTW, only a select few apps would restore to 2.1, since some apps are only 2.2 specific

Reactions: paully and DonB
Upvote 0
Thanks very much for all the excellent reference material.

Beyond what you've provided above, is there a reference to a single webpage or post somewhere that accumulates links to any updates/tweaks issued subsequent to the release of the aospMod ROM linked above?

Pretty much everything is up to date;) If something new comes about, I'm sure someone will post:)

Reactions: sdk234
Upvote 0
Need a little aospMod help, please. Been running the ROM a little over a week (and LOVE it!), but just found a problem. My voice input has quit working. It was working fine a few days ago, as I was using it with my Swype keyboard, but now I've noticed I can't use voice on any apps - Google Nav, Handcent, nothing! Any ideas of how to get voice input working again?

Upvote 0
Boot into recovery and wipe cache and davlik, and reboot, if that does not resolve the issue make a Nandroid and flash 9.9.2 again see if that resolves the issue

Need a little aospMod help, please. Been running the ROM a little over a week (and LOVE it!), but just found a problem. My voice input has quit working. It was working fine a few days ago, as I was using it with my Swype keyboard, but now I've noticed I can't use voice on any apps - Google Nav, Handcent, nothing! Any ideas of how to get voice input working again?

Upvote 0
Boot into recovery and wipe cache and davlik, and reboot, if that does not resolve the issue make a Nandroid and flash 9.9.2 again see if that resolves the issue

Tried both, but still no voice input. Don't know how that just disappeared! Any other ideas?

Also, checked under manage applications, and TTS Service is listed, but when I click on it, none of the buttons (Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data, Move the SD card, or Clear Cache) are active or usuable. My guess is that the app has somehow become corrupted, thus it is showing on the list of apps but can't be accessed.

Upvote 0
Tried both, but still no voice input. Don't know how that just disappeared! Any other ideas?

Also, checked under manage applications, and TTS Service is listed, but when I click on it, none of the buttons (Force Stop, Uninstall, Clear Data, Move the SD card, or Clear Cache) are active or usuable. My guess is that the app has somehow become corrupted, thus it is showing on the list of apps but can't be accessed.

If you did a full wipe and reflash the problem should be solved;)

Upvote 0
If you did a full wipe and reflash the problem should be solved;)

OK, remember, I'm new to this, but if I do a full wipe, I'm going to have to re-setup everything, won't I? Such as all my email accounts? Am I wrong about that?

Also, this seemed to happen once I set up my bluetooth headset, so I'm wondering if possibly that caused a problem (although I used the headset with the original ROM and I had voice input then). My voice dialing with the bluetooth still works, but the voice input for my Swype keyboard and for my Handcent quick reply doesn't work anymore.

Upvote 0
OK, remember, I'm new to this, but if I do a full wipe, I'm going to have to re-setup everything, won't I? Such as all my email accounts? Am I wrong about that?

Also, this seemed to happen once I set up my bluetooth headset, so I'm wondering if possibly that caused a problem (although I used the headset with the original ROM and I had voice input then). My voice dialing with the bluetooth still works, but the voice input for my Swype keyboard and for my Handcent quick reply doesn't work anymore.

I know it's a pita but.... Another option would be to completely uninstall handcent and swype and then redownload.

Try clearing data, then uninstall and reboot for handcent in manage applications, then reinstall.

Swype is a little bit more labor intensive, obviously. Go to manage applications, clear data first, then uninstall the Swype installer. Then do the same for Swype, wipe data first, then uninstall. Reboot phone. Then download Swype installer and go from there.

See if that works

Upvote 0
I know it's a pita but.... Another option would be to completely uninstall handcent and swype and then redownload.

Try clearing data, then uninstall and reboot for handcent in manage applications, then reinstall.

Swype is a little bit more labor intensive, obviously. Go to manage applications, clear data first, then uninstall the Swype installer. Then do the same for Swype, wipe data first, then uninstall. Reboot phone. Then download Swype installer and go from there.

See if that works

Afraid the full wipe is going to be what I have to do. My Yellowbook app, which I've always used voice input for, also doesn't have a voice option any more, so it really looks like I'll have to just backup my apps with Astro, do a Nandroid, do a full wipe, and pull the apps back in with Astro. Boooooooo!

Actually, I do have a Nandroid I did when I first setup the custom ROM, that had my emails set up, so I may flashing back to that version and see if everything is working there, then reconnect the bluetooth headset and see if that trashes the voice input again. At least that might pinpoint the cause.

Upvote 0
Afraid the full wipe is going to be what I have to do. My Yellowbook app, which I've always used voice input for, also doesn't have a voice option any more, so it really looks like I'll have to just backup my apps with Astro, do a Nandroid, do a full wipe, and pull the apps back in with Astro. Boooooooo!

Actually, I do have a Nandroid I did when I first setup the custom ROM, that had my emails set up, so I may flashing back to that version and see if everything is working there, then reconnect the bluetooth headset and see if that trashes the voice input again. At least that might pinpoint the cause.

Well, apparently I tried to make this a whole lot harder than it had to be. After doing some online searching, I found that the Google Voice Search app wasn't on my phone, so I just went to the market, downloaded it, and voila, I now have voice input back. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Reactions: andygu3
Upvote 0
Well, apparently I tried to make this a whole lot harder than it had to be. After doing some online searching, I found that the Google Voice Search app wasn't on my phone, so I just went to the market, downloaded it, and voila, I now have voice input back. Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Well, that was a simple solution. Glad you found the problem and fixed it:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones