Setting up destop computer for Wireless TetheringSupport

Last Updated:

1. teleburst

teleburst Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know that this is sort of stupid thing not to know, but how do you actually set up the link between the Eris and the desktop when using Wireless Tether? I went through the Wireless network Setup and I even went through Network Setup Wizard and Network Connections and still haven't been able to figure out how to actually initiate wireless tetherthing through wi-fi. I'm sure that it's something bonehead that I haven't considered.

The only time I've set up networks is with the help of ISP tech support or the ISP setup CD.

I went to the FAQ at the company that does Wireless Tether but couldn't find anything helpful.

I'm using XP.

Advertisement
  2. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I'm asking a silly question, but does your desktop have a wifi adapter? I'm a laptop user, but I thought most desktop computers (except iMacs) are sold without wifi.

3. teleburst

Not silly at all. And probably my problem.

Told you it was probably a bonehead thing.

4. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Hehe, its all good... I guess you'll have to do wired tether.

5. teleburst

Don't know why I would assume that I was already set up for wi-fi. I'm not a laptop sort of guy.

I'll probably go to a wi-fi adapter of some sort. Unless there's some serious drawback to doing wireless.

I wonder if I could use my ATT DSL router, which has wi-fi, as the gateway to my Eris.

6. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

Once you set your Eris up for wireless thethering, you sort of manage it like a router. (i.e. broadcasting your SSID, encryption key, etc). There are USB wireless dongles (not entirely certain how I feel about that word yet) that are available for desktops if you don't wish to have a wired tether. The only drawback that could be a possibility is speed perhaps?

7. italygrl1

italygrl1 Well-Known Member

I got it working on mine wirelessly since i have a laptop but i would like to do it on my husband's desktop and wondering how to set it up wired?? Any help? Thanks.

8. lovewithyou880

lovewithyou880 New Member