• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up free messaging using google

deltaforce

Android Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2012
Hello folks,

I have a heard a few times using google for free messaging. Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive guide that will guide me though such set up?

Secondly, DW does not have data access so it will be great if the app can switch between data and regular network depending on the availability.

Many thanks in advance.

Google Voice is free texting (no MMS yet) but uses data. Google Talk is free too but is a chat, not real text.
GV is a separate/another phone number. You can allow your texts to be forwarded to your 'regular' number, but then you will be charged for a text.
With GV you can't "switch between data and regular network", it's data to send and receive OR a charge for regular texting through your carrier.
GV is really a great service, you can do so much with it! www.google.com/voice/

Upvote 0
She has Motorola Droid Razr and T-mobile Pay-As-You-Go. Majority of texting she does is for her work (but her job does not offer a phone and/or plan).

I am not only after free service but something that will work all the time. We don't get a good reception at home so majority of calls or texts are not received when she is at home.
Getting a contract is not an option at the moment (with the economy as it is). Hence, I am looking into Fuzion Mobile as well. They have a small amount of data with their pay-as-you-go plan. I am not too sure even with Fuzion, I can leave data on all the time, unless I use an app that will firewall all data except for google voice app.

If you know any solution in such scene, will be glad to know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones