setting up g1 with at&t (without data plan)Support

Last Updated:

1. austriker

austriker Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

So I ordered a g1 off of ebay after much researching my next phone. (I like to buy not the latest and greatest but rather the proven legend phones). I really like it. I got an unlock code today from an ebay seller and unlocked the phone because I use at&t.

I think that is the problem, because when I try and sign in with my google account it tells me the following:

"You dont have a network connection. This could be a temporary problem or your SIM card may not be provisioned for data services. Please try again when you are connected. If it continues, call customer care."

So I was thinking I could log into the google account using wifi. I am going to try and avoid getting a data plan because they are bloody expensive.But maybe I will have to cave, I am on a family plan and at&t has unlimited data plans for family lines for only $10.. Maybe I will just get it for the initial setup and then drop the data plan later..

Also my brother has an iphone and I am thinking maybe I could take his sim (because he has a data plan) and use it to log into my google account. Then perhaps I could switch to my sim card and just run off of wifi for as long as possible.. Are there any problems with this? Will my google account be stuck with his sim card?

So are there any solutions to my problem or do i have to get a data plan?

Thanks! I am stoked to start using my g1!! (I am contemplating rooting it..)

Advertisement
  2. austriker

austriker Member This Topic's Starter