• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Setting up Home Screens - Suggestions?

falcon7204

Jan 17, 2012
Hi, all,

I just became the proud owner of a Captivate after having an iPhone 3GS for about the last year or so. I'm still getting used to the differences between iOS and the Android OS, but the biggest one is the multiple home screens available. I've got some widgets going, and some direct dial shortcuts, and some folders, but it seems rather disjointed and haphazard.

I know there are lots of gurus out there, and I'm hopeful for some quick tips for how to set up home screens to be more productive and easier to access apps. My Captivate is unrooted, but recently upgraded to 2.3 Gingerbread. I'm fairly computer-savvy (I run both Vista and Ubuntu on my laptop), but I'm also willing to listen to those who have more experience than I do. TIA for your responses.

How you set up your home screens is really a matter of personal taste. You might want to try folder organizer to help with creating home screens folders. I use it for folders as well as a contacts widget. If you use shortcuts, multicon can help make your home screens look cleaner, and fit more links in the same space.

You can find widgets for pretty much anything: weather, news, social, media players controls, email, text, etc. I'd say put anything you want fast access to on a home screen. Experiment with it. You can always change it later. I generally keep my main home screen fairly clean and simple and put widgets (messy stuff) on other screens.

I'd take a look at the "Post Your Home Screens" Threads. The captivate one is here:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/125679-post-your-home-screens.html
I'm sure most handset sub-forums have similar threads. It can be helpful to see how other people have their home screens set up if you need ideas.

Reactions: falcon7204
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones