Setting up IMAP - Help!!Support

Last Updated:

1. LesBB

LesBB Member

Hi,

I had IMAP mail working fine on my HTC Desire S but I now have a new Galaxy S4. I have tried everything over he last few days to get my mail working but can't. I can set it up so I can send mail but I can't receive any.

I have tried everything starting with the settings that worked on my HTC phone.

Any ideas anyone??

Advertisement
  2. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

You will have to provide more information about this before anyone will be able to help.

Which mail client are you using? Are you using a Gmail account? What settings have you used? What are the symptoms?

I'd be happy to help if I can as I did this with both Gmail and K-9 (my preferred Android mail client) without any trouble at all with four different accounts but you will need to be a bit more specific.
  3. LesBB

LesBB Member

Hi Lotus49,

I have tried the standard mail app and latterly, K9 which looks quite good.

I have set up my email account which is one for my own business domain. (I do have gmail accounts and they set up easily using the Gmail app. )

I have set up the IMAP account using the email address, user name, password and mail server that I have previously used and found worked on my HTC. If I get something wrong, as I have while trying alternative setups, the phone says so and respons with something like "AUTHORISATION FAILED". For that reason maybe I have actually got it set up ok as it does poll for mail etc. Trouble is it doesn't find any - not even the test messages I have sent for that purpose. I have disabled my desktop PC mail client account to make sure it isn't simply being taken there first.

I'm stumped :(
  4. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

The first two things that occur to me are that you have mis-typed your credentials or that you are not using SSL/TLS when you should be or vice versa. Does the IMAP account you are trying to connect to use IMAP or IMAPS (ie encrypted sessions)?